We embrace and value our diverse staff and student community, and embed inclusive practice across all operations. This as an essential element in enhancing the School’s contribution to the improvement of health worldwide. We are committed to fostering a supportive, enabling and inclusive environment, where all individuals are treated with dignity and respect, and where there is equality of opportunity for all regardless of characteristics or background.
Equality & Diversity Strategy
Equality, diversity and inclusion are the responsibility of all staff and students at the School. Our Equality and Diversity Strategy 2016-19 has the following priorities:
- Promoting equality and diversity
- Embedding Equality and Diversity into mainstream activities
- Increasing knowledge and awareness of equality and diversity issues relating to staff and students and how to address these
- Making successful Athena SWAN and Race Equality Charter Mark applications
- Developing partnerships to involve staff and students in promoting equality and diversity activities throughout the School
A subsequent action plan strategy (intranet only) clearly outlines how the School will meet its committments as outlined within the Strategy.
Events, Training & Networks
- Selected past events
- Why women are central to conflict resolution and humanitarianism (Baroness Valerie Amos, Director of SOAS)
- From crisis to sustainable health: lessons from the Ebola outbreak (Dr Margaret Chan, Director-General World Health Organization)
- What makes a "Woman in Science"?
The following training courses and many others are available from the LSHTM training course booking platform.
- Equality and Diversity in LSHTM - Addressing Issues Confidently
- Overcoming Unconscious Bias in Higher Education
Charters, Awards & Accreditations
The Athena SWAN Charter
The Athena SWAN Charter aims to recognise the advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all. The School is fully committed to the Charter and was awarded a Bronze award in March 2014.
|Epidemiology & Population Health||Infectious & Tropical Diseases||Public Health & Policy|
Athena Swan applications (intranet)
Equality scheme review, adjustment request form and other related documents can be found on our Human resource intranet pages.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion which celebrates the fact the we are committed to working to support lesbian, gay and bisexual staff.
- Policies and Reports
- Disability policy (pdf)
- Equal Pay Policy (pdf)
- Equality and Diversity Policy (pdf)
- Gender Reassignment and Trans Equality Policy (pdf)
- Anti-bullying and harassment policy (pdf)
- The Equality Act 2010
- Equal Opportunities School Data Staff Data
LSHTM Equal Opportunities Employment Data going back to 2002 is available on request.
If you need advice or more information on equality, diversity and/or inclusion within the School, please contact your Human Resources.