Disability support

The School welcomes students with disabilities. We aim to provide appropriate support and facilities for each student and to review practices and procedures to enable and encourage disabled students to participate fully in university life.

The Student Advice & Counselling Service offers support to all London-based students with disabilities. If you are a distance learning student, you can contact the University of London International Programmes team for disability support.

Disability resources

Disability information for applicants

Admission to the School

All applications are considered on abilities, qualifications and experience.

Declaring your disability

As part of the online application, there is an opportunity for you to declare your disability and inform us of any support you may need.

This information is passed to disability support staff. Information about your disability is kept confidentially in the Registry and will not be shared with any other members of staff without your consent.

Students who may need significant adjustments or special arrangements for their studies should contact the School well in advance of the start of the course. If you have a mobility impairment, are registered blind or have severe/profound hearing loss, please contact us to discuss your requirements.

If you require the application form in a different format please contact Student Advice by email:

Information for Needs Assessors

Needs Assessors should share copies of the Needs Assessment report with the Student Advice team.

To send a report or for any queries, please contact: or 020 7299 4706/ 020 7299 4749.

Disability support available at the School

Students may be able to access the following types of support at the School:

  • Special examination arrangements
  • Extensions for written assignments
  • Library support including extended library loans, book fetching service and one-to-one introduction to services
  • Increased printing allowance 
  • Resources for modules including lecture slides and reading lists are made available via Moodle
  • For the majority of lectures, lecture capture takes place and podcasts are made available to students via Moodle
  • Permission to record lectures for personal use
  • Read & Write Gold and Mindmanager are currently available on the School network

The School does not have any in-house Non-Medical Helper support and so external providers are used.

Specialist Study Skills Support and Specialist Mentoring

The School’s preferred provider for Non-Medical Helper Band 4 support is Equality Focus Ltd. The School works with Equality Focus as they are able to offer flexibility in relation to our student’s intensive timetable and can meet with our students on campus or in a nearby location where they have office space available. You can access their DSA QAG rates on their website.

Disability support during your studies

What is considered a disability?

Under UK law, a person is considered to have a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term effect on their daily life (including on their studies).

Examples of a disability include:

  • Physical or sensory impairments such as visual impairment, restricted mobility.
  • Mental health difficulties such as bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression.
  • Specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD.
  • Health conditions such as HIV, epilepsy, arthritis and cancer.
How to arrange support?

If you have a disability and need adjustments, you should contact the Student Adviser to arrange a meeting. In the meeting, the Student Adviser will create a Learning Support Agreement to ensure appropriate support or adjustments are put in place for the duration of your studies.

Please note: To access support, you must provide documentary evidence which outlines how your disability may affect your studies e.g. Educational Psychologist’s report, medical evidence.

Support at the School

Assessment adjustments for modules and end of year exams

Adjustments are made in line with the Special Examinations Arrangements Policy which is included in the Assessment Handbook.

Examples of assessment adjustments are:

  • extensions for written assignments
  • additional time for timed assessments
  • use of a computer
  • rest breaks
  • use of a scribe or amanuensis

Equipment and software

The School may be able to loan or provide specialist equipment to help you during your studies. For example, a digital voice-recorder to record lectures and seminars or mind mapping software to help you write essays.

Specialist support

Students may need specialist support to help them with their studies. This may include Study Skills tuition, mentoring or use of a support worker for notetaking/library support. Specialist support will be arranged with an external provider such as Equality Focus Ltd. Further information about the rates for these services (pdf).

Library support

This may include access to extended loan periods, or a book fetching service. 

Screening for dyslexia and other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs)

Students who think they may have dyslexia can attend a Screening appointment with the Student Adviser. If appropriate, the student will then be referred to an Educational Psychologist for a diagnostic assessment.

Students on joint courses with other institutions

Please be aware that you will need to inform both institutions if you have a disability. Please note that policies for disabled students may vary from institution to institution.

Financial information

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Full-time and part-time postgraduate students paying “home” fees are eligible to apply for the DSA. The DSA can help pay towards any extra costs you may incur while studying due to your disability or specific learning requirement, for example the cost of a non-medical personal helper, items of specialist equipment, travel and other course-related costs.

If you are receiving a bursary or award from a research council, the NHS, the General Social Care Council or if your university or college provides support that is equivalent to DSAs you not be eligible for a postgraduate DSA from your local authority. You should contact your sponsor for any extra support you maybe entitled to.

You can find further information on DSA, and download application forms, using the following link:

Alternatively, you can request a hard copy from the Registry.

Educational Grants Advisory Service (EGAS)

The Educational Grants Advisory Service offers guidance and advice for those studying in post-16 education in the UK.

The service is open to:

  • Individuals who wish to enter post-16 education or training who are resident in the UK
  • Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA) studying in the UK
  • Overseas student in the UK who are coming to the end of their course
Hardship Fund

Students who are not eligible for the Access Fund (see above) can apply to the School's Hardship Fund for assistance with disability-related costs. However, as funds are limited, we urge you to get in touch with the School before you start your course so that we can assess your needs and let you know how much financial help you might reasonably expect from the School.


The Mike Devenney Scholarship

Who is eligible? This scholarship is open to British undergraduate and postgraduate disabled students.

How to apply? Please refer to the following website:

Value? This scholarship may be able to help towards fees/equipment or accommodation.  

Snowdon Award Scheme

Who is eligible? Snowdon Award Scheme is a charity which offers grants to students with physical disabilities studying in the UK.

How to apply? Please apply via Snowdon Award Scheme website:

Value? Grants ranging from £250 to £2,500 are available.

Location and transport information for disabled applicants

    Campus accessibility

    Classes take place across our two buildings located on Keppel Street and Tavistock Place, in addition to buildings belonging to other institutions in the Bloomsbury area. Students often have to walk between different buildings during the teaching day. Currently most support services are located in the Keppel Street building.

    Contact if you require specific building information.

    Travelling in London and to the School

    Travelling around London by public transport is not always easy, but Transport for London are committed to improving access in order to make travelling around London easier for people with disabilities. 

    Travel Assistance Scheme

    London Underground offer a Travel Assistance Scheme. This scheme aims to provide information and more access to disabled travellers around London. It is open to people over the age of 18 and living in Greater London.

    For further information, please refer to the following link:

    London Underground (the "Tube")

    London Underground is a old system and the majority of stations have stairs. Transport for London aim to have 25% more stations step - free by 2010, rising to one-third in 2013.  Information on free travel for disabled people.

    To see the Tube Access Guide please refer to the following link:


    All Transport for London bus routes have been wheelchair accessible since January 2006, and new buses have a retractable ramp for wheelchairs.

    For further information on the bus routes for please refer to the following link:


    Taxi Card scheme

    The Taxi Card scheme is designed to provide subsided fares for people with mobility issues who find it difficult using public transport.

    For further information and how to apply for this scheme please refer to the following website:

    Alternatively, contact:

    ALG TEC Taxicard
    New Zealand House
    80 Haymarket
    SW1Y 4TZ
    Fax: +44 (0)20 7484 2919


    LSHTM is located in Bloomsbury in Central London and parking is very limited. School is within the London Borough of Camden, and Camden Council operate the Disabled Person's Badge Scheme.

    To apply for this you must first hold a valid blue badge and either:

    • live in Camden within the green badge area
    • work in Camden (full or part-time) within the green badge area
    • study full- or part-time in Camden within the green badge area. (LSHTM is within the green badge area)

    You must display your green and blue badges clearly. This will give you the right to park in a resident's bay, on a parking meter, or in a pay-and-display.

    Blue Badge holders are eligible for 100% discount on congestion charge.

    Further information on blue badge-only disabled parking spaces in the area.

    Please note these parking spaces may not be located close to the School.

    To obtain a Green Badge Scheme application form please download one from the Camden Council Website:

    Getting to School

    Location & directions.

    For further information or queries please contact the Student Adviser.

    Tel: + 44 (0)20 7299 4706