- When will I receive an invitation to the ceremony?
Invitations will be emailed to MSc and Research degree students in December. Any student that believes they are eligible to attend the ceremony but who has not received their invitation should contact the Graduation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of their course and current email address.
- Am I eligible to attend the ceremony?
If you find that you have not successfully passed your MSc degree this year you will not be eligible to attend the ceremony. Those re-sitting will be eligible to attend once they have passed, or may defer their attendance to a future year subject to successfully completing the course.
- How do I register my attendance?
You must register in advance if you wish to attend. Please confirm your attendance by completing the online registration form. This link will be emailed to you with your invitation.
- Is there a cost to attend the ceremony?
Graduands can attend free of charge. Guest tickets are priced at £20.00 per ticket.
- How do I book tickets for my guests?
Graduands must register their attendance via our online booking system, where you will be able to purchase your guest tickets. Graduands can purchase up to two guest tickets. Additional tickets can be requested, and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis after after the registration closing date. All guest tickets will be £20.00. If your additional ticket request has been successful, you will be contacted by email with your allocation details.
- Can I bring children to the ceremony?
A crèche facility will be available free of charge for the duration of the ceremony. You must request this service when you register your attendance. The ceremonies can last up to two hours, and are not suitable for very young children. Babies and children aged two years and under are permitted to sit on an adults’ lap, however this is not recommended. Children aged over two years will require a seat, and this will need to covered within your ticket allocation - all tickets are priced at £20.00 each.
- Will my child need a ticket?
All guests attending the ceremony, including children, will require a ticket. Babies in arms are the exception.
- How do I book crèche facilities?
If you would like to make use of this facility please register your interest via the registration link at the time of booking. Places will be allocated on the day on a first come, first served basis to those who have registered. Parents will be asked to complete a registration form upon arrival at the crèche. Suitable refreshments will be provided.
- When will I receive my tickets?
Tickets for graduands and their guests will be issued at the registration desk on the day of the ceremony. Graduand and guest tickets will be released to graduands only and ID may be required at registration. Please Note: There will not be any extra tickets available on the day of the ceremony.
- How do I request a visa to come to London for the ceremony?
London based graduands requiring visa support letters for themselves or their guests should contact email@example.com. Distance Learning graduands requiring visa support letters should contact the Distance Learning Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do I need to hire a gown?
Graduands are not obliged to wear gowns. It is your own choice. For information, approximately 75% of attendees do usually wear gowns. Alternatively, graduands are also invited to wear national dress.
Gowns are designed to be worn with shirts, therefore for comfort and practicality, it is recommended that you wear a button-through jacket or shirt which will enable you to attach the academic hood to your clothing without pins. If you choose to wear clothing other than a shirt or blouse we would recommend that you bring some safety pins with you so that your hood will remain secure.
- How do I order a gown?
If you would like to hire a gown for the ceremony this must be ordered in advance from Ede and Ravenscroft. Once you have received your invitation you can order online at: www.gownhire.co.uk or call +44 (0)1223 861854. Pre-ordered gowns will be delivered to Friends House for collection on the day. After the reception, gowns should be returned to Keppel Street.
Photography & video
- Can I submit a clip for the graduation video?
Yes! If you want to feature in our Graduation video, please send us a clip where you describe, in two words, your experience at the School, your memories or what LSHTM means to you. Here are some guidelines:The clip must be in landscape orientation. Minimum resolution 1280 x 720, i.e just standard HD or above.
- Start and end with a few seconds silence, to help with editing.
- Be careful of too much background noise. The camera microphone will be fine if in a quiet place.
- Send the original file wetransfer, or google drive.
- Entries must be sent to email@example.com
- Entries will be judged on originality, quality, composition and appropriateness to the theme.
- Entries may be in colour or black and white.
- No more than three entries per person.
- Deadline for entries is Friday 2 February 2018.
- If identifiable individuals appear in your video, please ensure that you have their permission before submission.
- All entries will appear in the School’s shared files which will be accessible by School staff.
- Suitable entries will appear in the graduation video.
- Entries may be used for promotional purposes e.g. School website, Annual Report, Chariot, prospectus, exhibitions etc.
- Copyright - by submitting any clips, participants warrant that they own the copyright in their clip and they give consent to LSHTM to store the clip and reproduce it in any School related publication or medium.
For further information, please contact Events and Graduation
- Will the ceremony be broadcast on the internet?
Yes. The ceremony will be recorded and will be available to watch live online. This feed will also be available for download after the ceremony. Parts of the recording may also be used in various School materials in the future. If you have any questions concerning the filming, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Will professional photographs be taken at the ceremony?
Tempest Photography will provide photographic services on the day. This will include an opportunity to have photos with your guests.
- Should I book my photography session prior to attending the ceremony?
No. You will be able to book a slot on the day.
- Will School merchandise be available on the day?
Yes. There will be a selection of School branded merchandise available from the Keppel Street building during the receptions. This will be a cash only sale.
- How long will the ceremony last?
The ceremony will last approximately two hours.
- What time should I arrive for the ceremony?
Please allow 90 minutes to register, collect your gowns and have photographs taken. The doors to the theatre will open an hour before the start of the ceremony. Graduands must be in their seats NO LATER than 15 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
- Am I able to sit with my friends during the ceremony?
Graduands will be seated by course, in alphabetical order. The seat you are allocated is the order in which you will process onto the stage, so it is important that you stay in your pre-designated seat.
- Will we be told when to proceed to the stage?
Ushers will guide you as to when to leave your seat and proceed to the platform for presentation. Graduands and their guests are requested to stand when the platform and academic processions enter and leave the Hall.
- Where should I arrange to meet my guests after the ceremony?
Guests are asked to leave Friends House promptly in order to clear the venue as quickly as possible. Please arrange to meet friends and family members outside the building or at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine for your reception.
- Will my name appear in the graduation brochure?
Yes. All those eligible to graduate will have their name in the brochure, irrespective of whether you choose to attend the ceremony.
- Will I receive a copy of the graduation brochure?
Yes. Each graduand attending the ceremony will receive a copy of the brochure. Those graduands not attending will be sent a copy by post in the weeks following the ceremony.
- Will the School pay for my travel expenses?
No. Accommodation and travel costs must be met by the graduand. Information on hotels in the area can be found at: www.hotels.com.
- How do I get to the venue?
See our contact page for address and map. The nearest mainline station to the venue is Euston station. The nearest tube stations are Euston and Euston Square. Parking facilities are not available at the venue, however the nearest NCP car parks can be found at Russell Court, Coram Street, London, WC1H 0ND and Marchmont Street, London, WC1N 1AF: http://www.ncp.co.uk.
- Will disabled facilities be available at the venue?
Yes. If you or your guests have any access requirements or questions please contact the graduation team as soon as possible - email@example.com.
- Are there any other events taking place around the same time as the School graduation?
Yes, we hold a reception for our distance learning students and their families. This takes place on the Friday afternoon before Graduation Day. For further details contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of London International Programme hold their own graduation ceremony which distance learning students are also eligible to attend. For further details contact email@example.com.
- When will I receive my degree certificate?
At the ceremony you will be awarded a University of London MSc degree certificate. If you are unable to attend, your certificate will be posted to you after the ceremony.
- How do I cancel my booking?
If you are no longer able to attend please do let us know. This will ensure that the ceremony runs smoothly and all those who wish to attend are able to do so. You can cancel your booking yourself using the registration website. Alternatively please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I get a refund?
Please contact email@example.com for a refund of your guest tickets. Refund requests will be accepted up to seven days before the ceremony date.
- Will I be given instructions for the day?
Yes, we will email all graduands with instructions for the day approximately one week before the ceremony, please ensure you read through all the details.
- Will there be a reception after the ceremony?
All graduands and guests are invited to a reception at Keppel Street following the ceremony. Drinks and light canapés will be served. You are encouraged to make your way to the School for the reception promptly as these must end at the given times.
- How do I keep in touch with the School?
After graduation you automatically become a member of our Alumni Association. For more information please visit our alumni pages.