Will I need to take an English test?
It is essential that all students should have an adequate command of the English language to benefit from studies at the School. Once you have submitted your application the Admissions Team will check your English language ability. For further details please read the English Language Requirements (pdf).
- Which English tests are accepted?
- Can I apply before I take an English test?
We will consider applications without English test results. If an offer is made, it will be listed a condition of the offer if you will be required to take an English test.
- I have been asked to supply evidence of English language ability, where can I find more information about this?
Details of English language requirements are available in the School’s Admissions Policy in the English Language Requirements (pdf).
It is extremely important that applicants required to take an English language test do so as soon as possible.
- I have been informed I must take an English test. I have been taught in English or English is my first language, why do I need to take a test?
For all students requiring a Tier 4 Student visa, the School English requirements reflect the Home Office requirements. You will note that only certain nationals of certain countries are exempt from the English condition. If the Home Office does not consider your home country, or the country you were taught in to be majority English speaking, you will be required to take an English test.
The countries the Home Office consider to be majority English speaking are: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Barbados, The Bahamas, Belize, Canada*, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis , St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America.
* Canadian nationals are exempt from the English language requirement, but those who completed the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in Canada are not exempt.
- I have taken an English language test and did not achieve the minimum required scores, what can I do?
If you do not achieve the minimum required English language score you must improve your English and take another test. You will not be able to register at the School if your English language ability does not meet the minimum requirements.