Funding for overseas students
Organisations and trusts
- Flywire Charitable Foundation Academic Scholarships - The Flywire Charitable Foundation aims to improve equality, access and affordability for underrepresented individuals and communities. For the 2021 academic year, seven total scholarships of $5,000 USD each will be awarded across the following themes: Social Justice, Global Health and Global Citizenship - apply by 21 June.
- Alcohol Education and Research Council - For people working in the alcohol field, who wish to acquire appropriate professional qualifications by following a taught course.
- Association of Medical Research Charities - A searchable database of member charities and specific funding information.
- Black Heart Foundation - Provides bursaries and scholarships through its Black Heart Scholarship programme to assist under-resourced and underrepresented students in their educational pursuits.
- CARA Grants - Grants to enable persecuted academics to return to academia, or an allied profession, in the UK.
- Colt Foundation Fellowships in Occupational/Environmental Health - For research into some aspects of occupational or environmental medicine. UK/EU and Overseas applicants are eligible to apply. For further details on eligibility and how to apply, please see Colt Foundation (under ‘Students’).
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK - CSC awards over 900 scholarships and fellowships for postgraduate study and professional development to Commonwealth citizens each year.
- Chevening Scholarships - Chevening Scholarships are the UK governments' global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations, typically awarded for a one year Master's degree.
- Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program - JJ/WBGS sponsors students from developing countries to pursue one of the preferred and partner masters programs at participating universities around the world.
- The Newton International Fellowship - The scheme will offer support for two years at UK research institutions to the very best early stage post-doctoral researchers from all over the world.
- The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene - RSTMH runs a grant programme for those early in their research careers, which is open to global health professionals based anywhere in the world, who have not had research funding in their own name before. Travel scholarships are also offered for attendance to RSTMH meetings.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) - Offers awards in the areas of public health, health sciences and postgraduate studies in medicine. Applicants must apply through their own country of origin usually via the Ministry of Health, or the corresponding national health administration.
Other organisations and trusts
List of organisations/trusts which are known to the School to have provided students with help of small amounts (approximately £500+) towards fees and/or living expenses:
- All Saints Educational Trust - MSc Nutrition for Global Health only
- The Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust
- Lawrence Attwell's Charity
- TARGETcourses bursary competition
- HIV Research Trust
- The Leverhulme Trust - Study Abroad Studentships for UK students only
- BBSRC LIDo London Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme
- ESRC UBEL
- MRC London Intercollegiate Doctoral Training Partnership Studentships
Funding for specific groups
General funding opportunities
- Association of Medical Research Charities
- FindAMasters.com Postgraduate Scholarships
- FindAPhD.com Postgraduate Scholarships
- UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)
- Directory of Grants & Fellowships in the Global Health Sciences
- Hotcourses - Scholarship Search
- British Council
- TARGET postgrad Bursary Competition
- Directory of Social Change's Grants for Individuals
- Postgraduate Studentships
- Studyportals Scholarships
- Postgrad Solutions
- UK Study Online Scholarship
The Grants Register, published by Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
The Directory of Grant Making Trusts, published by the Charities Aid Foundation.