UK Faculty of Public Health (FPH) - Specialty training scheme


The School offers taught courses and research placements as part of the UK Faculty of Public Health (FPH) Specialty training scheme. During a placement, Public Health trainees will be supported to gain public health competencies and develop skills in areas such as literature reviewing, critical appraisal, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, writing for publication and teaching. Trainees on placement after completing the final membership examination (MFPH) are expected to teach on MSc modules. There are also opportunities for trainees to develop seminars and access a wide range of in-house staff development courses.

Types of placement

MSc courses

Most London public health trainees complete an MSc in Public Health at the School. Many trainees also take the FPH Diplomate Examination during or directly after the MSc. A DFPH revision course is organised and run by LKSS trainees to support this.

Post Part B Public Health training placements

After completing the MFPH examination, public health trainees may apply for an academic placement to gain specific research skills or experience and fulfil key learning outcomes. Some registrars also carry out pilot work and prepare for research fellowship applications during an academic placement. Placements are typically 6 to 12 months.

Academic training pathway

Each year, the School welcomes an Academic Clinical Fellow (ACF) in Public Health. These posts last up to three years and allow 25% of a trainee’s time to be spent at the School, with the remaining 75% spent in local service public health and health protection training placements. As well as completing an MSc and FPH exams, ACFs are expected to identify an area of research interest to develop into an application for PhD fellowship funding. Read further information about LSHTM’s integrated academic training scheme.

Studying for a PhD as a trainee

Public health trainees interested in exploring a research area in depth can take time out of specialty training (OOPR – out of programme research) to complete a PhD if they obtain additional funding. Fellowships for PhDs are usually funded from organisations such as MRC, Wellcome or NIHR. Some PhD time may be counted towards specialist training, with prior approval.

Educational supervision

Dr Greg Hartwell, Professor Karen Lock and Professor Charlotte Warren-Gash are the School’s Educational Supervisors and are the main points of contact for public health training.

Training locations and potential project supervisors

Placements are available in all three Faculties, tailored to individuals’ needs and interests. There are a number of qualified public health trained staff across all three faculties who can act as project supervisors. However, all staff are potentially eligible for this role and any non FPH accredited staff will work closely with the Educational Supervisors to provide a suitable placement.

Example previous projects

DatesProjectSpecialty registrar
2019-2020Discourse analysis of food, alcohol and health outcomes and industry representationAnna Ramsbottom
2019-2020How the meat industry portrays the health and environmental harms of red and processed meat consumptionKatie Clare
2019-2020Development of a community testing pilot study of Chagas disease in Latin American migrants in LondonNatalie Elkheir
2019-2020Enablers and challenges to implementation of the national learning from deaths programme in acute TrustsSarah Morgan and Anamika Basu
2019-2020To examine COVID-19 policies for care homes in England and to describe providers’ experiences of those policiesSelena Rajan
2019-2020Comparison of COVID-19 pandemic response across EuropeSelena Rajan
2019-2020Design and completion of a scabies prevalence survey in a peri-urban community in Monrovia, LiberiaShelui Collinson


If you would like to discuss a Public Health training placement at the School, please get in touch first with any of the Educational Supervisors, Greg Hartwell, Karen Lock or Charlotte Warren-Gash in the Faculty you are interested in (they can help direct you to potential project supervisors). Arrangements will need to be formalised through your Training Programme Director and the Educational Supervisors.

Faculty of Public Health and Policy

Faculty of Epidemiology & Population Health

Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases