As a student are allowed to work in the UK this applies if you are studying on a Tier 4 or the Student Visa or a visa granted under the student route after 5 October 2020.
However there are restriction on the number of hours you can work while studying in the UK, these are:
- part-time work during term-time, which is up to 20 hours maximum per week
- full-time work during official School holiday periods (usually over Christmas and Easter)
- full-time work after your official course end date
Please note: The Home Office consider a working week as a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday. Therefore you should ensure that you calculate up to 20 hours based on this timeframe. If you work irregular hours or have more than one employer, we advise you keep detailed records of your hours in a working week to make sure you do not work over the permitted hours.
We do not recommend that you work the full entitlement of working hours due to the high demands of programmes at LSHTM.
Restrictions on the types of work you can do
You can do most types of work; however, please be aware that you cannot do the types of work included below:
- self-employment and business activity
- work as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
- a permanent full-time job
- doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme