Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Collecting Your Biometric Residence Permit

If you are applying from outside the UK, you are able to collect your BRP from a Post Office or from the School, you must enter the code 2HE967 into the Alternative Location field in the BRP collection section to collect the BRP from LSHTM.

You must collect your BRP within 10 days of your arrival in the UK; this can be done at LSHTM or at the allocated post office. You will need to bring your decision letter.

Failure to collect your BRP within the specified period will result in a civil penalty and/or a fine and your visa may be cancelled. When you collect your BRP, you should check the following information:

  • Your name and date of birth
  • Type of permit states Student Visa
  • Valid until date

Valid until date: Your BRP should be valid for 4 months after the end date of the course.

The address where you can collect your BRP is printed on the decision letter you received when your passport was returned by the visa application centre.

If you cannot collect your BRP

You are able to nominate someone else to collect your BRP if you have a serious illness or disability that prevents you from collecting it. They must take your passport as evidence that you’ve entered the UK.

You cannot nominate someone to collect your BRP if you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus. Collect it when you finish self-isolating.

The person you nominate must have one of the following:

  • a passport
  • an EU national identity card
  • a BRP

You can get someone to make the nomination for you, for example a legal representative, charity, employer, college or university.

You’ll be told within 5 working days if the person you nominate is approved to collect your BRP.

If you change your mind, you can still collect your BRP yourself or you can nominate a different person. You do not need to cancel the original nomination.

Report a problem with your new BRP

If there’s a problem with your BRP when you collect it or it arrives, if there are any errors on your BRP, you must report it to the Home Office within 10 days. Otherwise you may have to pay, report it.

You can report online if your BRP does not arrive.

Mistakes in the length or conditions of your visa, If you applied for your visa from inside the UK, you can ask for an administrative review.

Other problems with your BRP

You can report other problems with your BRP online, for example:

  • there’s a mistake on it, for example your name, gender or date of birth is wrong
  • your BRP was damaged when it arrived

If your name is long it may appear ‘cut off’ on your BRP. This is not a mistake - it is because there is limited space on the BRP card. However, if there’s a spelling mistake, you must report it.

You can get someone to report the problem for you, for example a legal representative, a charity, employer, college or university.

The Home Office will email you within 5 working days to tell you what to do next. It’ll take longer if you do not give an email address.

If your BRP is lost or stolen

You can report your biometric residence permit (BRP) lost or stolen from inside or outside the UK. You can only order a replacement from inside the UK.

The Home Office should contact you within one working day of reporting it.

You will not be able to use your BRP if you find it after you report it lost or stolen.

If you’re in the UK If your lost or stolen BRP was valid for 3 months or more, report it and apply for a replacement. You must do this within 3 months of losing it.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK if you do not apply for a replacement within 3 months.

If your BRP was valid for 3 months or less, you must do one of the following: · report it as lost or stolen if you do not intend to remain in the UK after its expiry date · apply for a replacement if you plan to leave and re-enter the UK within 3 months of its expiry date

apply to extend your visa if you want to stay in the UK after its expiry date - if granted, you’ll automatically get a new BRP

If you’re outside the UK

You must report your lost or stolen BRP outside the UK.

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

You can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of reporting it lost or stolen unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.