Tier 4 / Student Visa responsibilities

If you are being sponsored to study full-time on a Tier 4 or Student Visa, the UKVI expects the School to undertake certain reporting duties.

These apply if you are studying on a Tier 4 or the Student Visa or a visa granted under the student route after 5 October 2020.

You will need to ensure you comply with the conditions attached to your visa and co-operate with us to fulfil our sponsor duties.

LSHTM is required to:

  • Hold a copy of your current passport and up to date immigration documents.
  • Keep up-to-date UK contact details including both address and telephone number.
  • Inform the Home Office if you do not arrive as expected.
  • Monitor your engagement with your studies.
  • Notify the Home Office if there is a change of circumstances with your studies.
  • Inform the Home Office if we believe you are breaching the conditions of your leave (e.g. working over the permitted allowance).

Change of Circumstances that we have to report to the UKVI:

  • Changing you course
  • Interrupting our course
  • Withdrawing from course
  • Additional time required
  • Completing earlier than expected
  • Change of study address (RD students on research leave, MSc students on project)
  • Change of Immigration status – you must inform the Student Immigration & Compliance Team (

In addition, students must abide by the conditions attached to their visa, which include:

  • Working restrictions: A Tier 4, Student Visa allows you to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time. This is a maximum of 20 hours in total in any one week, including paid or unpaid work and for one or more organisation. The 20 hours cannot be averaged over a longer period.
  • No access to state benefits: This means you cannot access some state benefits.
  • Registering with police if required: Some nationalities are required to register with the police

Actions student must take includes:

You should update the Home Office of a change in address by submitting online form.

You can use this form to report:

  • passport number
  • update your home address
  • update your correspondence address
  • update your legal representative's address
  • update your dependant's details
  • criminal convictions

if you have a visa vignette in your passport, you will need to update the Home Office on these changes using the change of circumstances form

Please note this list is not exhaustive, please visit "When to use the form" section on the UK Government website for further details.

If you have a BRP you are required to apply for a new BRP in the following circumstances:

  • change of name, e.g. if you have got married
  • change of nationality
  • change of gender
  • change of appearance

Whether you have a BRP or visa in your passport, you are required to report the following changes to the Home Office using the change of circumstances form.