Intercalating study (Master’s degree)

Undergraduate medical students can take a year out either to pursue related studies or work. LSHTM welcomes applications from medical students wishing to intercalate after their third year of study from any recognised university in the world.

Why intercalate with us?

Reputation: LSHTM has an outstanding international reputation in public health & tropical medicine and is at the forefront of global health research. LSHTM ranked #3 in the world and #1 in the UK for Public Health (ShanghaiRanking 2023) as well as #4 for Infectious Diseases (US News Best Global Universities Subject Ranking 2022). Find out more about our rankings and why you should study with us.

Highly recognised qualification: possessing a master's degree from LSHTM will give you a focused understanding of health and disease, broaden your career prospects and allow you to be immersed in research in a field of your choice.

Valuable skills: you will undertake an independent research project (summer project) on your chosen topic, equipping you with research skills that will distinguish you in a clinical environment. While your medical qualification will give you a breadth of knowledge; undertaking an intercalated degree will allow you to explore your main area of interest in greater depth.

Alumni network: LSHTM has a strong international and diverse alumni community, with more than 34,500 alumni in over 180 countries.

MSc vs. BSc: undertaking an MSc is an excellent opportunity to develop in-depth specialist knowledge in your chosen topic and enhance your skills in scientific research. Postgraduate qualifications are increasingly sought after by clinicians and possessing a Master's qualification can assist you in your future career progression.

Which Master's can you intercalate?

We offer a wide range of courses in topics that go beyond the scope of your medical degree. Some may require relevant work experience, so please check the entry requirements on each individual programme page:

*Applicants for the MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing are typically required to have an additional year’s work experience (clinical training and work related to medical degrees do not normally satisfy this requirement).

*Applicants for the MSc Public Health for Development are expected to have one year’s professional experience in public health in a low- or middle-income country.

Please be aware that medical students are unable to intercalate on the MSc Tropical Medicine & International Health as a full medical degree is one of the prerequisites for the course.

How to apply for an intercalated MSc

The application process for intercalating master’s is the same as for all other applicants and applications should be made online.

Intercalating requires a leave of absence from your current medical programme. You should therefore consult with relevant staff at your university to ensure that your option is compatible with the requirements of your medical degree (e.g. term dates).

You will need the equivalent of a bachelor's degree to undertake an MSc. This will usually require you to have a BSc degree or have completed the first three years of your medical degree.


Please note that intercalating students do not have access to undergraduate funding from Student Finance England whilst studying on a postgraduate course. Students may be eligible to borrow postgraduate loans.

Intercalating students should also note that completing a postgraduate degree will impact their access to undergraduate funding, according to the equivalent level qualification rule. Unless on an exception course (such as those that lead to qualification as a medical doctor or veterinary surgeon), students will not have access to Student Finance when they return to their undergraduate course. Those on an exception course will have access to maintenance loans, but not tuition fee loans. If you have any queries on this, please contact Student Finance England for advice.

Students from Hong Kong

If you are taking the new condensed MBBS, you will be permitted to intercalate after your second year of study. You will need to provide a transcript indicating that you are studying for a condensed medical degree.