Staff are registered automatically.
London-based students are registered automatically. Your School ID card is your Library card. Membership is for one year, or for the duration of the course, whichever is shorter.
Distance-learning Students are registered automatically. To borrow items from the library a School ID card is needed, contact your course administrator.
Members of the School's Alumni Association and current staff and students from other UK institutions who are members of SCONUL Access (bands A, B, C) or the Access25 scheme may apply to join the library as an external member.
Please contact your home institution first if you are a visitor looking for access.
External members can:
- borrow up to 5 standard loan items from the Library (not including materials from the one-week, overnight or reference collections, laptops or locks)
- access the Library during visitor and external members opening hours.
Joining the library as an external member
On your first visit to the library you will be asked to complete an application form and agree to abide by the Library Regulations for Users (pdf). Please bring the following.
- A letter of introduction from the LSHTM Alumni Office
- Photo ID
- SCONUL Access membership email, or valid SCONUL card
- Institutional ID
- Access25 card
On each subsequent visit, you will need to bring your external membership card and sign-in at the Enquiries Desk. Non-refundable, one day, photocopying cards are available from the Enquiries Desk for £1.
External membership is granted for one year, or until the expiry of the SCONUL Access or Access25 membership, whichever is shorter.
Accessing electronic resources
External members can access a limited set of electronic resources when they are in the Library on a ‘walk-in’ basis. Walk-in access laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wish to download a resource, please bring a USB.
External members may:
- Access a limited list of electronic resources.
- Download to USB, single copies of articles and other electronic publications for your own personal non-commercial use.
External members may not:
- Use LSHTM computer facilities.
- Access electronic resources other than the Library Catalogue and the limited set of electronic resources available via the Walk-in Access service.
- Use the laptop for any other purpose other than to access the resources in the walk-in scheme.
- Pass a downloaded resource to another person.
Users of electronic resources must comply with the license terms and conditions, including copyright restrictions, of any e-resources accessed using the walk-in scheme.
Walk in visitors
Visitors, SCONUL Access Reference users, and staff and students from University of London institutions, are welcome to register as ‘Walk-in Visitors’ to use the Library during visitor opening hours to gain reference access to our specialist print collections.
We are unable to admit visitors who wish to use the Library for study space only.
Registering to visit the Library
On your first visit to the Library you will need to complete an application form. Please bring an institutional ID card and/or photographic ID. SCONUL Access Reference users should bring their institutional ID card and SCONUL Access confirmation email. Staff and students from University of London institutions should bring their institutional ID card.
On each subsequent visit you will need to bring your ‘Walk-in Visitor’ card and to sign-in at the Enquiries Desk.
Non-refundable, one day, photocopying cards are available from the Enquiries Desk for £1. - Visitor registration is granted for one year, or until the expiry of the SCONUL Access Reference, whichever is shorter.
Accessing electronic resources
Same as for external members (see above).