LSHTM is committed to continually working to embed public engagement throughout the research cycle, across the research we do and within the local and global communities where we conduct our research, as detailed in our 2018-2022 Public Engagement Strategic Action Plan (PDF).
Why engage with the public?
- To share our public health work in a transparent way, creating an atmosphere of trust
- To enhance our research processes and outcomes to achieve wider benefits and impact
- To facilitate the exchange of public health knowledge and ideas
- To enrich the skills and confidence of LSHTM staff and students
We support and encourage staff and students to engage with the public by:
- Facilitating opportunities…
…for staff and students to engage with the public such as at external events like science and cultural festivals or in museums and community buildings.
- Recognising engagement…
…as an important characteristic of a well-rounded researcher, in line with the Researcher Development Framework. As such, public engagement activities are considered under external citizenship within the academic promotions process. Engagement activities at LSHTM are often celebrated and publicised through internal and external communication channels as well.
- Supporting ideas…
…by providing 1:1 advice on planning and delivering your public engagement project or activity as well as support for preparing applications for public engagement funding within a research grant application or for a stand-alone public engagement grant application.
- Delivering training…
…that has been developed using in-house expertise or from external trainers to provide staff and students with skills in public engagement as well as contribute to their broader research and career aspirations.
- Providing funding…
…so that staff and students can carry out meaningful engagement and trial new public engagement ideas. LSHTM has its own Public Engagement Small Grants Scheme, providing up to £1,000 for staff and doctoral students in any Faculty to plan and deliver a public engagement project or activity. New for 2019, we have introduced one Continued Development Grant of £3,000-£5,000 for a project which builds on previous engagement activities, learning and/or public engagement experience.
Current staff & students
If you are a current member of staff or student, please log on to the intranet to discover:
- Resources for planning and delivering engagement and involvement
- How to get involved in upcoming opportunities
- Upcoming internal and external training opportunities
- Learning-based case studies from staff and students who have done public engagement
- Our Public Engagement Champions
- Public engagement and involvement funding opportunities
If you are a prospective student or staff member and want to learn more about public engagement at LSHTM, please email email@example.com.