Brexit - information for students and applicants

EU students studying in the UK

The UK exited the EU on the 31 January 2020 with a withdrawal deal agreed. From 1 February 2020 we moved into a post-Brexit transition period which is scheduled to end on 31 December 2020.
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is a global community, with many staff and students from all over Europe, and strong links with EU partners. Despite the outcome of the UK’s referendum on EU membership, LSHTM’s commitment to fostering an inclusive and supportive international community remains strong, and we will continue to sustain our many vital research and education links with partners across Europe. EU students who hold an offer to study with us, or who are considering applying in the future, can find information on this page about studying in the UK following Brexit. Please check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information.

Tuition fees

If you’re planning to start in the academic year 2020-21, as an EU student you’ll pay fees at the same rate as UK students during your course, even if the UK leaves the EU before the end of your course.

On 23 June 2020, the UK government announced that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for Home/UK fee status or financial support from Student Finance England, with effect from the 2021-22 academic year. The full statement and further information can be found on the UKCISA website. Please note that LSHTM has not yet set fees for the 2021-22 academic year.

Student loans

If you’re planning to start in the academic year 2020-21, you’re still eligible for student loans as an EU student, even if the UK leaves the EU before the end of your course.

Immigration requirements

The implications depend on when your course starts.
If your course starts before 31 December 2020:
If you’re an offer holder from the EEA or Switzerland and your course starts before 31 December 2020, you will not be required to apply for a visa from your home country in order to study in the UK.  You will have the right to free movement when your course starts. This means you can come to the UK to study, live and work as now. In order to protect your rights after the UK leaves the EU, you will need to make an application under the EU Settlement Scheme after you have arrived in the UK, and before 30 June 2021. The application process is easy, user-friendly and free of charge.
If your course starts from 1 January 2021:
EU citizens who move to the UK after 31 December 2020 will need to apply through the new immigration system currently under consideration in the UK.  Student visa routes will be opened up to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. You’ll be able to apply for a visa to study in the UK if you:
•    Have been offered a place on a course
•    Can speak, read, write and understand English
•    Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course

To help prepare EU students who will need to apply through the points-based immigration system from January 2021, the Government has created tailored guidance.
A new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years. Find out more information on the Government’s website.
We will update this page as further details become available.  If you have any questions or concerns, contact our admissions team at