Immigration requirements for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens

You do not need a visa if you enter the UK by 11pm on 31 December 2020. If you come to the UK before this time, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 to continue to work, live or study in the UK.

The UKVI have introduced a new immigration system, please visit New Immigration System for further details.

The UKVI have also published a guide for EU Students: The UK's points-based immigration system An introduction for EU students

From 1 January 2021

Student visa routes will be opened up to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. You’ll be able to apply for a visa to study in the UK if you:

  • have been offered a place on a course
  • can speak, read, write and understand English
  • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course

If you will be coming to the UK to study and will arrive on or after 1 January 2021 you can apply for a:

Visa application process

You’ll be able to apply and pay for your visa online.

When you apply, you’ll be asked to provide your biometric information. The process for this is:

For most visas you’ll provide a digital photo of your face using a smartphone app. You will not have to give your fingerprints.

For a small number of low volume routes (to be confirmed later this year) you’ll need to go to an overseas visa application centre to have your photo taken.

A new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years, or 3 years if you are a PhD graduate.

Please visit our immigration pages for further information.