Three scholarships are offered to support the training and development of the next generation of leaders in global health, and strengthen the capacity of health systems and health-related research in Africa.
These highly competitive scholarships are available to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).
Each scholarship will cover:
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees; and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 17,175.00.
Eligibility for funding
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must:
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa;
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at LSHTM;
- confirm that they would not otherwise be able to pay for the proposed programme of study by submitting the supplementary questions form with tick-box checked;
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements;
- hold a first degree at either a first or upper second class equivalency level; and
- hold an offer of admission for 2020-21 for one of LSHTM’s 18 London-based MSc programmes of study.
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate (in their application documentation) the potential to make significant contributions to public health and/or health-related research in Africa.
How to apply
Applicants should complete both steps below by the scholarship deadline.
Submit an application for 2020-21 for a London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via LSHTM’s admissions portal by the scholarship deadline. (Where possible, we would encourage applicants to submit a complete application for study as far in advance of the scholarship deadline as possible, to allow for timely processing.)
Due to the introduction of a GBP 50.00 application fee at LSHTM, applicants are advised to apply early to allow time for this payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding apply for their study/programme by 31 January 2020 in order to ensure that there are no processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline.
Please note that if you are applying for admission to LSHTM and are accepted, you will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days. If you are applying for a scholarship at LSHTM, please email the Admissions Team within this 28 day period, specifying the name of this scholarship and the expected decision date. This must be repeated for every scholarship for which you are applying. The admissions team will then apply an extension to the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship.
Submit an online scholarships application, selecting this scholarship option from the drop-down menu. A completed supplementary questions form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV etc with their application for study).
If you have any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact our Scholarships team: email@example.com
If you encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form, in the first instance please try clearing your browser cache and ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix your technical issue, please contact LSHTM’s IT Services team, providing your full name; the scholarship that you are applying for; and the technical issue that you have encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2020-21 London-based MSc application and/or have been made an Offer of admission should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Each applicant should submit only one application for GSK Scholarships for Future Health Leaders for 2020-21. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and attachment before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered and there will be no opportunity to upload the supplementary questions form after submission.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above. Both the application to study and the scholarship application must be complete by the scholarship deadline.
- These scholarships are open to applicants for any of the 19 non-distance learning Masters programmes offered by LSHTM (including our joint programmes: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing; MSc One Health; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology).
Please note that for the following programmes you will be directed to the joint provider to complete your application to study as LSHTM does not administer the admissions for these courses: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc One Health; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology.
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
The scholarship deadline is 23:59 (GMT) on Wednesday 12 February 2020.
Decisions are expected to be reached, and the successful applicants notified, by 29 May 2020.