This scholarship has been created in recognition of Diana Walford and the dedication she has shown to the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) throughout her term on Council. It is intended to support an excellent candidate who would be unable to take up a place of study without this financial support.
This scholarship is open to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine in 2020-21.
The scholarship will cover:
- 2020-21 tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees;
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 17,175.00; and
- an MSc summer project allowance of GBP 2,000.00.
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must:
- be nationals of, and resident in, low to middle income countries (as defined by the World Bank);
- intend to return to a low to middle income country on completion of their MSc year at LSHTM;
- confirm in writing that they would not otherwise be able to pay for the proposed programme of study;
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements (as required by LSHTM’s Admissions system); andhold a first degree at either a first or upper second class equivalency level; and
- hold an offer of admission for 2020-21 from LSHTM for one of the eligible MSc programmes of study (please see application notes below for eligible courses).
The selection panel awarding this highly competitive scholarship will consider applicants’ experience and qualifications and potential, looking for those with the greatest potential to accelerate in their career and make significant contributions to public and global health, and/or health-related research (following a year’s study at LSHTM).
How to apply
Applicants should complete both steps below by the scholarship deadline.
Submit an application for 2020-21 for an eligible MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary admissions documents (including references) are submitted via LSHTM’s Admissions Portal by the scholarship deadline.
Due to the introduction of a GBP 50.00 application fee at LSHTM, applicants are advised to apply early to allow time for this payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding apply for their study/programme by 31 January 2020 in order to ensure that there are no processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline.
Please note that if you are applying for admission to LSHTM and are accepted, you will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days. If you are applying for a scholarship at LSHTM, please email the Admissions Team within this 28 day period, specifying the name of this scholarship and the expected decision date. This must be repeated for every scholarship for which you are applying. The admissions team will then apply an extension to the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship.
Submit an online scholarships application, selecting this scholarship option 2020-21 Diana Walford Scholarship from the drop-down menu. A completed supplementary questions form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references, transcripts, and a CV as part of their application for study).
If you have any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact our Scholarships team: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form, in the first instance please try clearing your browser cache and ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix your technical issue, please contact the School’s IT Services team, providing your full name; the scholarship that you are applying for; and the technical issue that you have encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible. email@example.com.
- The eligible MSc programmes of study, for the purpose of this award, are the 16 London-based MSc programmes offered by, and administered by, LSHTM. This scholarship is not available for our distance learning programmes or for our joint programmes with KCL (MSc Global Mental Health) or RVC (MSc One Health; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology).
- Each applicant should submit only one application for the 2020-21 Diana Walford Scholarship. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and attachment before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered and there will be no opportunity to upload the supplementary questions form after submission.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2020-21 London-based MSc application and/or have been made an offer of admission should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above. Both the application to study and the scholarship application must be complete by the scholarship deadline.
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
The scholarship deadline is 23:59 (GMT) on Wednesday 12 February 2020.
Decisions are expected to be reached, and the successful applicants notified, by 29 May 2020.