Research governance ensures the delivery of high quality research. It is defined as the broad range of regulations, principles and standards of good practice that exist to achieve, and continuously improve, research quality across all aspects of healthcare worldwide.
Research governance helps to improve research and safeguard the public by:
- Protecting participants in research
- Protecting researchers/investigators
- Assessing risks and managing them
- Assuring compliance to regulations, guidelines and standards
- Enhancing ethical and scientific quality
- Promoting good practice
The School is committed to providing a research environment that develops good research practice and nurtures a culture of research integrity. All research conducted by LSHTM staff and students must comply with the Good Research Practice Policy, which has been developed in accordance with national guidance including: the Concordat to Support Research Integrity from Universities UK, Research Councils UK and the UK Research Integrity Office.
- Good Research Practice Policy (pdf)
- Policy and procedure for investigating allegations of scientific misconduct (pdf)
LSHTM Statement on Research Integrity
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is committed to complying with the Commitments outlined in the Concordat to support Research Integrity:
- We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of rigour and integrity in all aspects of research.
- We are committed to ensuring that research is conducted according to appropriate ethical, legal and professional frameworks, obligations and standards.
- We are committed to supporting a research environment that is underpinned by a culture of integrity and based on good governance, best practice and support for the development of researchers.
- We are committed to using transparent, robust and fair processes to deal with allegations of research misconduct should they arise.
- We are committed to working together to strengthen the integrity of research and to reviewing progress regularly and openly
Summary of Formal Investigations into Allegations of Research Misconduct by Staff:
To date, there have been no allegations of research misconduct investigated by LSHTM against staff.
Other policies and procedures (currently under review)