Strengthening planetary health research and action in Europe
Expanding the Scope of Research in Planetary Health in Europe webinar series
Funded by the ISGlobal Severo Ochoa Strategic Programme, the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) in collaboration with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) Centre on Climate Change & Planetary Health and the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), is hosting the series of 5 weekly webinars: “Expanding the scope of research in planetary health in Europe”.
The programme is aimed at strengthening the field of planetary health, particularly within Europe, by bringing together stakeholders from academia, government, and civil society. The initiative builds on previous activities including the EU meeting “The Europe that Protects: Safeguarding our Planet, Safeguarding our Health” held in Dec 2020 in Helsinki, as well as the “Horizon 2020 HERA Research agenda for the Environment, Climate & Health 2020-2030”.
- Update the knowledge in specific areas of planetary health to identify research gaps, including a focus on 1) research methodologies; 2) existing evidence and design of interventions; and 3) demand for new knowledge from end-users and stakeholders
- Develop interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and innovation agenda for planetary health
- Strengthen the network of planetary health in Europe
The webinar series will be structured in five sessions from 14.00 - 16.00 GMT.
Session 1: 24 February, Strengthening Planetary Health Research and Action in Europe
- 14.00 - 14.10: Welcome and presentation
Chairs: Jaana Halonen (Research Programme Director – Safe and health-promoting environments at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare - THL) and Josep M. Antó (Research Professor and Former Founding Director ISGlobal, Professor of Medicine at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)).
- 14.10 - 14.25: The role of science for achieving sustainable development. How research on Planetary Health fits into the big picture?
Speaker: Howard Frumkin (Professor Emeritus of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences at the University of Washington School of Public Health).
- 14.25 - 14.40: The planetary boundaries: from science to politics – what is needed for better implementation of research?
Speaker: Johan Rockström (Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and Professor in Earth System Science at the University of Potsdam).
- 14.40 - 14.55: The development of Planetary Health as a multidisciplinary research framework
Speaker: Sir Andy Haines (Professor of Environmental Change and Public Health at LSHTM).
- 14.55 - 15.10: Global Environment Outlook – GEO-6: Healthy Planet, Healthy People
Speaker: Joyeeta Gupta (Full Professor on Environment and Development in the Global South at the University of Amsterdam and IHE Delft Institute for Water Education in Delft).
- 15.10 - 15.25: The Horizon Europe landscape and opportunities for research and innovation in Planetary Health
Speaker: Marjan Van Meerloo (Policy officer at the Earth Observation, European Commission, DG Research & Innovation, Unit C3 – Climate and Planetary Boundaries).
- 15.25 h - 15.55: Panel Discussion with audience questions
Moderated by Jaana Halonen (THL) and Josep M. Antó (ISGlobal, UPF).
- 15.55 - 16.00: Closing remarks
Speakers: Jaana Halonen (THL) and Josep M. Antó (ISGlobal, UPF).
Please note that the time listed is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
More detailed information about future sessions will follow:
Session 2: 2 March, Food Systems, Sustainability and Health
Session 3: 10 March, Energy Decarbonisation, Health and Equity
Session 4: 17 March, Promoting Health through Sustainable Urban Development
Session 5: 24 March, Catalysing demand for Planetary Health in Europe