Accelerating a just transition for healthy people and a healthy planet
Climate change is increasingly impacting human health. This event will identify principles for a healthy and just transition across sectors, and share solutions and ways forward.
The health of people and the planet are increasingly threatened by climate change and the practices which drive it. These impacts are rooted in, and exacerbate, inequalities and injustices. A healthy and just transition which centres on the needs of people and communities while protecting the environment on which we depend is vital to ensure a safe and sustainable future.
This event will highlight the ways in which business as usual adversely affects health, and how these impacts fall most heavily on communities least responsible for their making. This event will explore how to address these challenges through transformative action across sectors which responds to the priorities of those most affected. Through expertise shared by those with first hand experience, academics and civil society, this event will explore how applying a health lens to just transition planning and implementation can support shared goals.
Speakers will identify principles for a healthy and just transition across sectors, and share solutions and ways forward.
- Shweta Narayan, Global Climate and Health Campaigner, Health Care Without Harm
- Jess Beagley, Policy Lead, Global Climate and Health Alliance
- Louis Jamart, Director of Strategy and Operations, Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change
- Dr Sarah Whitmee, Assistant Professor, Centre on Climate Change and Planetary Health and Pathfinder Initiative, LSHTM
- Dr Laalitha Surapaneni, Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Hannah Marcus, Co-chair, Environmental Health Working Group of the World Federation of Public Health Associations
- Please note this event takes place at 15.00 - 16.30 (GMT+4) / 11.00 - 12.30 (GMT)
- Please note that the recording link will be listed on this page when available.