PHC is core to the achievement of sustainable development and, in particular, universal health coverage. The 2018 Astana Declaration reaffirmed the values and principles of the Declaration of Alma Ata, viewing PHC as a foundation for a sustainable health system.
Researchers at LSHTM work on PHC in countries across all levels of development.
A ten-part seminar series “Primary Health Care - At the heart of every health system” will run on the first Wednesday of each month throughout the 2022/23 academic year.
It provides an overview of the key functions and features of PHC, it’s potential in achieving universal health coverage and its role in global health.
PHC is a “whole-of-society approach to health that aims to ensure the highest possible level of health and wellbeing and their equitable distribution by focusing on people's needs and preferences (as individuals, families, and communities) as early as possible along the continuum from health promotion and disease prevention to treatment, rehabilitation and palliative care, and as close as feasible to people’s everyday environment.”
The PHC Interest Group aims to provide a community for researchers, providers and policymakers interested in PHC, to develop and foster stronger connections, showcase PHC research, share learning and strengthen knowledge in this area
Want to get involved? Contact us.
Primary Health Care - At the heart of every health system
10-part seminar series runs from October 2022 to July 2023.
The series provides an overview of the key features and functions of PHC, the potential of PHC in all health systems and its role in achieving universal health coverage. Sessions draw on examples across different settings.
Seminars will be online. For more details and joining instructions follow links:
- 12.45 – 13. 45, Wed 5 Oct 2022: Panel Discussion. Primary Health Care at the heart of every health system - what’s stopping it?
- 12.45 – 13. 45, Wed 2 Nov 2022, What is Primary Health Care?
- 12.45 – 13. 45, Wed 7 Dec 2020, Achieving Primary Health Care through Multisectoral Action and Policy
- 12.45 – 13. 45, Wed Jan 2023, Empowering People and Communities
- Feb 2023, Integrating Primary Care and Public Health
- Mar 2023, Financing Primary Care
- Apr 2023, Getting the Primary Care Workforce right
- May 2023, Holding it together: Primary Care infrastructure
- Jun 2023, Measuring, regulating, and improving Primary Care
- Jul 23, Panel Discussion: Primary Health Care at the heart of every health system - an achievable dream?
Free and open to all