The End of Epidemics? Lessons from a century of pandemics, 1918 to 2018
The session will be recorded and livestreamed
In this panel discussion moderated by Professor Peter Piot, leading public health authority Dr Jonathan D. Quick will discuss his new book, The End of Epidemics: The Looming Threat to Humanity and How to Stop It, with Professor Virginia Berridge, Dr Heidi Larson, Professor Daniel Bausch, Professor Kara Hanson, and Professor David Heymann.
In The End of Epidemics, Dr Quick tells the stories of the heroes, past and present, who’ve succeeded in their fights to stop the spread of illness and death. He explains the science and the politics of combatting epidemics. And he provides a detailed seven-part plan showing exactly how world leaders, health professionals, the business community, media, and ordinary citizens can work together to prevent epidemics, saving millions of lives.
Moderator- Professor Peter Piot, Director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Speaker- Dr Jonathan Quick, Senior Fellow Emeritus, Management Sciences for Health and Instructor in Medicines, Harvard Medical School
1. Historical Perspectives –Professor Virginia Berridge, Professor of History at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and author of Public Health: Avery Short Introduction (Oxford University Press 2016)
2. Prevention – Dr Heidi Larson, Director of the Vaccine Confidence Project and Professor Of Anthropology, Risk and Decision Science at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
3. National Readiness, Innovation, and Research – Professor Daniel Bausch, Director of the UK Public Health Rapid Support Team, Public Health England/ London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
4. Health Systems Perspectives – Professor Kara Hanson, Professor of Health System Economics and Associate Dean for Research, Faculty of Public Health and Policy (Incoming Dean of Faculty of Public Health and Policy) at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
5. Global Preparedness – Professor David Heymann, Head and Senior Fellow at the Centre on Global Health Security at Chatham House and Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Following the talk and panel discussion, a book sales and signing will take place in the South Courtyard Café. The End of Epidemics will be available to purchase at the event (by cash or card) for £14.99.