The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is renowned for its research, postgraduate studies and continuing education in public and global health. LSHTM has an international presence and collaborative ethos, and is uniquely placed to help shape health policy and translate research findings into tangible impact.
Our mission is to improve health and health equity in the UK and worldwide; working in partnership to achieve excellence in public and global health research, education and translation of knowledge into policy and practice.
Vision for 2032
Our vision is for a more healthy, sustainable and equitable world for everyone.
This vision will drive our activities as we pursue our overall mission. Our values underpin our mission and express our expectations of everyone at LSHTM.
- Research, innovation and impact
Our research, innovation and impact will:
- Address both UK and international challenges
- Focus on quality and potential impact on health
- Embrace innovation and technological advances
- Include a focus on reducing health inequities
- Be open and widely available as possible for the benefit of all
- Engage with a range of mutually beneficial partners and stakeholders to further our strategic priorities
- People and culture
Our focus on people and culture will embed our values and:
- Recognise the continuing success of LSHTM is down to our dedicated community of people and partners around the world whose ideas and work improve health – we will invest in talent and nurture all staff to allow them to fulfil their potential
- Place equity, diversity and inclusion at the centre of all we do, both internally with staff and students but also externally with our alumni, partners and relationships
- Advance equity for all minoritised groups. Address our colonial legacy and structures which were shaped by patterns of racial discrimination and exclusion
- Promote the conditions to enable a healthy and sustainable culture for all
Our education (learning and teaching) will:
- Be guided by our purpose as a research-intensive institution and provide a research-rooted experience for all students at all stages of the student lifecycle
- Focus on quality in both content and delivery
- Nurture the next generation of researchers and practitioners to create impact and improve public health worldwide
- Attract, retain and enable students from a range of backgrounds to achieve successful outcomes, including eliminating attainment gaps
- Embrace technology to enhance the learning experience, ensure we are at the forefront of new approaches, and provide flexibility across in-person and online offerings
- Ensure our whole programme is responsive to global need
As we pursue our mission and vision we will:
- Maintain an enduring commitment to embedding environmental sustainability in our research, education and all aspects of our work and achieving carbon neutral by 2030
- Build and strengthen our operational capabilities, enabling us to respond to emerging opportunities and threats
- Drive financial sustainability through creating sufficient surplus to invest strategically in achieving our priorities and to enable us to respond to unexpected events
LSHTM's 2022-2027 strategy is working towards a healthy, sustainable, and equitable world for everyone. It sets out LSHTM’s priorities for the first five years of our journey towards our vision for 2032. We have shaped this around three strategic themes: research innovation and impact for health equity, education to improve health worldwide and thriving people and culture. Our values are central to how we pursue our priorities.
- Strategy 2022-27 (pdf)