LSHTM London Landmark Half Marathon Runners raise over £6,000 in 20235 April 2023 London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine https://lshtm.ac.uk/themes/custom/lshtm/images/lshtm-logo-black.png
The day started with cold wind and grey skies, while thousands of runners took to the streets of London on Sunday, 2 April to take on the not-so-easy challenge of running 13.1 miles (20km) in the London Landmarks Half Marathon for LSHTM.
This year’s team of 18 dedicated runners, made up of students, staff, and alumni, raised over £6,000 by sharing their JustGiving community fundraising pages with their networks, helping raise crucial funds to educate the next generation of Global Health leaders via the Val Curtis Memorial Fund and the LSHTM Scholarship Fund.
Our fastest runners this year
- Mollie Virgo, a current MSc student (pictured: left, above) who completed the half marathon in a truly incredible 1 hour 29 minutes; finishing 334 out of 23,434 runners.
- Ciara McCarthy, former and current LSHTM student, who completed the race in an awe-inspiring 1 hour 39 minutes; finishing 1,144 of 23,434 runners.
- Bella Clements and Abi Sakande, a current MSc student, and the son of the late Professor Val Curtis, finished joint 3rd with outstanding times of 1 hour 44 and 1 hour 45; finishing 2,016 and 2,208 of 23,434 runners respectively.
Our top fundraisers this year removing barriers to education
- Rachel Eagan – an LSHTM Research Assistant raised an unparalleled £1,000!
- Kimberly McCall – an LSHTM staff member raised £552.
- Ciara Judge – A current LSHTM student and staff member raised £548.
- Chris Wong – Former student and repeat LSHTM half-marathon runner raised £524.
- Abi Sakande – the son of the late LSHTM Professor Val Curtis raised £512.
We are extraordinarily grateful for the amazing hard work our runners put in, training and fundraising for LSHTM for this event. On behalf of all of us at LSHTM, thank you so much to all our amazing inspirational runners this year!
Almost at the finish line
Thousands of runners ran this year’s half marathon in London to support causes they care about, collectively raising millions of pounds for charities and organisations like ours. The crowds shouted and clapped all the runners helping them reach the finish line, cheering them on to help keep them motivated.
The atmosphere was electric as the runners headed towards mile 11 of 13.1, where the LSHTM Cheer Squad (Development and Alumni Relations Staff members, family and friends) waited to spur them on and hand over gift bags as a thank you to our runners following the race.
Do you have more events like this in 2023?
Do you enjoy cycling? Are you ready for a challenge? Are you passionate about access to education? Join 20 other staff, students, alumni and friends of LSHTM on Sunday, 10 September, to cycle 55 miles from London to Brighton as a team of 20 LSHTM cyclists. Please register your interest now to take part in this popular event. You can get in touch by emailing us at email@example.com if you have any questions, or want to suggest another event like this.