One of the first cluster-randomised controlled trials of an intervention to reduce violence from school staff to students. The study also included qualitative research, a process evaluation and economic evaluation.
The study was a collaboration between LSHTM, Raising Voices, UCL-IoE and Makerere University.
More than 20 academic papers and other resources are listed here.
One of the most common forms of violence against children in East Africa is physical violence perpetrated by school staff, but no interventions to reduce this violence have been rigorously evaluated for effectiveness. The Good School Toolkit, developed by Ugandan NGO Raising Voices, aims to reduce this and other violence against children in schools. In 2012, Raising Voices approached LSHTM for assistance to evaluate the impact of the Good School Toolkit in Ugandan primary schools.
From 2012-2015, we conducted the Good Schools Study, which included:
- a cluster randomised controlled trial in 42 Ugandan primary schools
- a qualitative study
- a process evaluation
- an economic evaluation
We showed that the Toolkit reduced past week physical violence from school staff to students by 42%, and improved students’ feelings of well being and connection to schools. The Toolkit is freely available from Raising Voices.
- Principal Investigator (LSHTM): Dr Karen Devries
- Principal Investigator (Raising Voices): Dipak Naker
- Study manager: Louise Knight (LSHTM), Jennifer Child
- Lead qualitative researcher: Dr Nambusi Kyegombe (LSHTM, MRC/UVRI)
- Economist: Dr Guilia Greco (LSHTM)
- Statistician: Dr Elizabeth Allen (LSHTM)
- Co-investigators: Dr Eddy Walakira (Makerere University), Dr Jenny Parkes(UCL-Institute of Education), Prof Charlotte Watts (LSHTM), Prof Diana Elbourne(LSHTM)
- Monitoring and evaluation leads: Janet Nakuti, Angel Mirembe (Raising Voices)
- Implementation lead: Willington Ssekadde (Raising Voices)
MRC/DfiD/Wellcome Trust (Joint Global Health Trials Scheme, MR/L004321/1, to K Devries), Hewlett Foundation, The Oak Foundation, The Sigrid Rausuing Trust and American Jewish World Service (to D Naker)
- Good School Toolkit ‘wins’ at SVRI
- Empowering Uganda’s teachers to reduce violence in schools
- Violence by teachers almost halved in primary schools – LSHTM blog
- Empowering Uganda’s teachers offers a new route to reducing violence in schools – The Conversation blog
- Violence against children and disability
- Violence against children with disabilities