Professor Philippe Mayaud
MD, MSc, DMTH
of Infectious Diseases & Reproductive Health
+44 20 7927 2291
- Trained as GP and in infectious and tropical diseases in France.
- MSc in Clinical Tropical Medicine from the LSHTM (1990-91)
- Professional experience in HIV/STI care in French Guiana (1985-86), as a District Medical Officer in the Commonwealth of Dominica (1987-1990), and as a researcher in a large STI/HIV intervention and research programme in Mwanza, Tanzania (1991-97).
- Working atLSHTM since 1991.
- Honorary Professor, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Visiting Professor at University of Sao Paulo (USP), School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Sao Paulo, Brazil, through CAPES-funded "Science without Borders" programme (2015-2018).
Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases
Department of Clinical Research
Centre for Evaluation
Centre for Maternal Adolescent Reproductive & Child Health (MARCH)
Health in Humanitarian Crises Centre
- Module Organiser: "Control of STI" since 1997.
- Regular teaching on the MSc Control of Infectious Diseases, the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and the MSc in Reproductive and Sexual Health Research at LSHTM;
- External teaching ongoing at the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp, Belgium; Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo (FMUSP), Brazil; and in the past for various other national and international STI courses including: British Association of Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH), UK; School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, UK; University of Bordeaux and IMEA Fondation Leon M'Ba, Paris, France; Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden; University of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso; Wits Reproductive Health & HIV Insitute (Wits-RHI), Johannesburg, South Africa.
- My main research interests are in the clinical management of sexually transmitted infectons (STI), the organisation of STI/HIV prevention and care services in various contexts, and the evaluation of interventions targeting STI, HIV or the HIV-STI interactions, with a particular interest in genital herpes (HSV-2), human papillomavirus (HPV), and cervico-vaginal infections (gonorrhoea, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis).
- I have participated, through a succession of DFID-funded research programmes on HIV/AIDS & STI, in research on various aspects of HIV/STI control in several anglophone and francophone African countries, in China and in Brazil.
- Coordinator of an EU/FP7 funded consortium (2010-2014) conducting research on the evaluation of cervical cancer prevention among HIV-infected women in Africa - the HPV in Africa Research Partnership (HARP) (http://harp-fp7.org/)
- LSHTM PI for the EU-funded ZIKAlliance Consortium (https://zikalliance.tghn.org/)
- LSHTM PI for the MRC/FAPESP-funded CADDE Consortium (https://www.caddecentre.org)
Randomised controlled trials
Disease and Health Conditions
Sexually transmitted disease
Emerging Infectious Disease
Human papillomavirus (HPV)
Sexually transmitted infection
Latin America & Caribbean (all income levels)
Sub-Saharan Africa (all income levels)