Professor Philippe Mayaud
MD, MSc, DMTH
of Infectious Diseases & Reproductive Health
+44 20 7927 2291
- Trained as GP and in infectious and tropical diseases in France.
- MSc in Clinical Tropical Medicine from the LSHTM (1990-91)
- Professional experience in HIV/STI care in French Guiana (1985-86), as a District Medical Officer in the Commonwealth of Dominica (1987-1990), and as a researcher in a large STI/HIV intervention and research programme in Mwanza, Tanzania (1991-97).
- Working atLSHTM since 1991.
- Honorary Professor, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- External examiner, School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana.
- Visiting Professor at University of Sao Paulo (USP), School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Sao Paulo, Brazil, through CAPES-funded "Science without Borders" programme (2015-2018).
Centre for Evaluation
Maternal, Adolescent, Reproductive & Child Health (MARCH)
- Module Organiser: "Control of STI" since 1997.
- Regular teaching on the MSc Control of Infectious Diseases, the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and the MSc in Reproductive and Sexual Health Research at LSHTM;
- External teaching ongoing at the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp, Belgium; Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo (FMUSP), Brazil; and in the past for various other national and international STI courses including: British Association of Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH), UK; School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, UK; University of Bordeaux and IMEA Fondation Leon M'Ba, Paris, France; Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden; University of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso; Wits Reproductive Health & HIV Insitute (Wits-RHI), Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Main research interests are in the clinical management of sexually transmitted infectons (STI), the organisation of STI/HIV prevention and care services in various contexts, and the evaluation of interventions targeting the HIV-STI interactions, with a particular interest in genital herpes (HSV-2), human papillomavirus (HPV), and cervico-vaginal infections.
- I have participated, through a succession of DFID-funded research programmes on HIV/AIDS & STI, in research on various aspects of HIV/STI control in several anglophone and francophone African countries, in China and in Brazil.
- Coordinator of an EU/FP7 funded consortium (2010-2014) conducting research on the evaluation of cervical cancer prevention among HIV-infected women in Africa - the HPV in Africa Research Partnership (HARP) (http://harp-fp7.org/)
- LSHTM PI for the EU-funded ZIKAlliance Consortium (https://zikalliance.tghn.org/)
Disease and Health Conditions
Sexually transmitted disease
Human papillomavirus (HPV)
Sexually transmitted infection
Caribbean small states
Latin America & Caribbean (all income levels)
Sub-Saharan Africa (all income levels)
Predictors of Adherence to HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis and Retention in Care After an Episode of Sexual Violence in Brazil
AIDS Patient Care and STDs
Gender norms and sexual behaviours among Indigenous youth of the Comarca Ngäbe-Buglé, Panama
Culture, Health & Sexuality