Please remember that you cannot enter the UK as a Short Term Student or Visitor and then make an application for a Tier 4 Student visa from within the UK. Only those who already hold certain types of immigration permission can change into Tier 4 (see below).
The information on these pages must be read together with the UK Visas and Immigration Tier 4 Policy Guidance.
The visa information below was last updated in June 2017.
Current Tier 4 visa holders
Applicants with a Tier 4 Student visa from a different institution
- You can only extend your immigration permission in the UK if your existing visa runs out 28 days or less before the start of your course.
- If your current visa runs out more than a month before the course start date, you will need to return to your home country to make a new visa application. If you are not in the UK, then we do not advise you to travel to the UK on a visa intended for a different institution as you may be refused entry to the UK.
- If you applied for your current Student or Tier 4 Student visa before 5 October 2009, please contact Visa Enquiries for further guidance.
- How to apply
You will need to make a new Tier 4 Student visa application before you start the course.
To make an application to extend your stay as a Tier 4 Student within the UK, visit the Home Office website.
Please note that you cannot make your application until you receive a CAS from the School. To request a CAS, please see the instructions on the Making a Tier 4 application from outside the UK page. Guidance on English Language requirements can also be found on this page.
- Financial requirements
You will need to show the same financial evidence as stated for students coming from overseas which is one year's tuition fees plus 9 months' maintenance costs of £11,385 (£1265 per month). You will need to show extra money for any dependants.
For further guidance on making a Tier 4 Student visa application from within the UK, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website or contact Visa Enquiries.
Non-Tier 4 visa holders
- Applicants with a non-Tier 4 visa
Firstly, you should check whether you need to change into Tier 4 to study a course at the School. Email Visa Enquiries with a scanned copy of your current visa and we can advise you further.
Only holders of certain types of visa can switch to this visa from within the UK. Please see section 47 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance to check if you are in one of these categories.
To make an application to change into the Tier 4 Student category within the UK, visit the Home Office website.
Please note that you cannot make your application until you receive a CAS from the School. To request a CAS, please see the guidance on the Making a Tier 4 application from outside the UK page. Guidance on financial and English Language requirements can also be found on this page.
- Registering at the School
You must bring your Biometric Residence Permit or visa and passport to either the Visa Check at the International Students Welcome event or Registration. You will be unable to register at the School until our staff have checked your immigration permission.
If you are awaiting a response from the Home Office about your application from within the UK, you can register on the course. At the Visa Check or Registration for new students, you must provide the following:
Copies of your passport and current visa. Evidence that you have submitted your application to the Home Office (a copy of the application and proof of postage.
If you were issued a CAS from the School, a copy of your CAS statement
Please note that if your application to the Home Office is unsuccessful, you will not be able to continue studying at the School.
- Email the Visa Enquiries Team: General queries on visa applications and CAS
- Email Student Advice: Confidential advice on any specific visa queries