Some students may have to register with the Metropolitan Police as one of the conditions of their stay in the UK.
Nationals from the following countries are required to register with the Police:
|Bahrain||Israel||Palestine||United Arab Emirates|
*Note: A person who holds a passport issued by the Special Administrative Region of either Hong Kong or Macao is classed as a Chinese national and needs to register.
Students who arrive at the start of the academic year
To register with the Police, you will need to register and book an appointment online, please visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) website.
You will also need to fill and print the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) Registration form (pdf) available at Registration Proforma. Fill in the information on the form electronically, not by hand until you sign the form.
OVRO document checklist:
You must take the below to the OVRO:
- your completed registration form
- one UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the form
- your passport (containing your visa vignette)
- your biometric residence permit (BRP)
- £34 registration fee (payable by card, including American Express and Diners Club International, or through most mobile payment applications such as Apple Pay and Google pay). We no longer accept cash.
You'll need to show details of your online booking confirmation on your phone or printout when you attend.
If you applied for and had your visa granted in the UK to further your leave to remain, you'll need to bring your Home Office grant letter or email as well as your BRP.
You'll have to book a new appointment if you don't take the correct documents with you.
If you haven’t collected your BRP, the OVRO can accept your Home Office letter approving your application for leave.
Location of the Overseas Visitors Records Office
The Overseas Visitors Records Office address is:
Southwark Police Station,
323 Borough High Street,
London SE1 1JL
Telephone: 020 7230 1208
Opening Hours: 09:00 – 16:00 Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
Transport options include:
- From Borough Underground Station: On exiting the station - turn right. OVRO is a 5 minute walk in the direction of Elephant & Castle on the opposite side of the road.
- From London Bridge Station:15 minute walk in the direction of Elephant & Castle.
- Buses from London Bridge: 133, 35, 40 & (343 from Tooley Street)
Changes to your circumstances
Once you have registered with the Police you should inform them of any changes in your circumstances such as:
- Any change of residential address
- Any other changes, including change of visa and/or institution, change of name, nationality, passport/travel document or marital status. You will also be expected to show appropriate evidence of these changes.
You must report these changes within 7 days. You can do this at your nearest police station instead of travelling to the Overseas Visitors Records Office.