- Welcome week
• MSc Medical Statistics welcome week timetable 2019 (pdf)
• Welcome week timetable (all programmes) (pdf)
• Welcome week marketplace guide (pdf)
• International Students’ Induction & Reception: taking place on Monday, 4-6.30pm, and featuring talks on Tier 4 Visa terms and conditions, and healthcare and banking in the UK. This event is strongly recommended for Tier 4 Visa students, and may be of interest to other international students.
• Student Welcome Party: celebrate your first week at LSHTM with your new friends, live music and light refreshments on Friday, 5-8pm in the lower ground floor.
• Accommodation helpdesk: if you are still looking for accommodation, visit the helpdesk in our Keppel Street building, where former students are on hand to guide you in your search. Open daily 12-5pm Monday 23 to Friday 27 September.
• Bank letters: bank letters will be available 11am-4pm on Wednesday and 10am-4pm Thursday & Friday in the Library. From Monday 30 September they will be available from the Student Hub. You will need to provide the name and address of the bank where you intend to open your account. Visit our banking pages for details of banks with branches near LSHTM.
• Council tax letters: council tax exemption certificates can be obtained from the Student Hub from Wednesday 25 September onwards.
In addition to School-wide sessions, there will be a specific introduction to the MSc Medical Statistics. Further sessions during the week will introduce you to the staff, MSc and LSHTM, as well as some introductory lectures. For those who haven’t studied maths for a while there will be a refresher session. There are gaps in the welcome week timetable in case you need to arrange housing, banking etc.
Please note that all new students, including those studying part-time, are expected to attend this first week in full.
- Programme handbook
Please note that the teaching is intensive and we advise full-time students not to do paid work for more than six hours per week.
- Reading list
We suggest that you buy only one of the recommended books. Other textbooks may be recommend for different modules throughout the year.
Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Altman, Chapman and Hall, 1990, ISBN: 0412276305
Statistical Methods in Medical Research. Armitage, Berry and Matthews, Fourth Edition, Blackwell, 2001, ISBN: 9780632052578
Biostatistics: A Methodology for the Health Sciences. Van Belle, Fisher, Heagerty and Lumley, Second Edition, Wiley, 2004, ISBN: 978-0471031857
Essential Medical Statistics. Kirkwood and Sterne, Second Edition, Blackwell, 2003, ISBN: 9780865428713
- Revision documents
- Information for new part-time students
You will attend the MSc two days per week – Monday and Tuesday during the first year and Thursday and Friday in the second year, though this may vary in Terms 2 and 3 depending on your module selection. More details will be given during the welcome week, but also feel free to email the Programme Administrator at Eimear.Connolly@lshtm.ac.uk if you have any questions ahead of then.
- Information for returning part-time students
Please take a look at the timetable for welcome week. Welcome week is optional for second year part-time students, although we strongly recommend that you attend the welcome lunch and the staff-student introduction to get to know the new students.
There will be a social event later in the week to which you are warmly invited – again this would be a good opportunity to get to know the new students.
There will also be a farewell event for the outgoing students on the day of the project submission deadline. Please do come along and say goodbye to them.
Page last updated September 2019