Up to 15 Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships are open to Canadian citizens who are applying to a doctoral programme in the humanities and social sciences OR who are registered full-time in the first or second year of such a programme at a foreign university.
The annual value of this scholarship is up to CAD 60,000.00 per scholar (including an annual travel allowance of CAD 20,000.00) for three years. There is an opportunity to apply for a fourth year writing or dissemination scholarship.
The Trudeau Foundation has outlined in its selection criteria that applicants must:
- have a track record of academic achievements at the level of the highest standards of the world’s most prestigious doctoral scholarship programmes
- possess exceptional skills that will enable the scholar to engage in lively exchange with other researchers
- intend to work in an area related to one or more of the Foundation’s four themes and have an expressed desire to contribute to public dialogue.
(The Trudeau Foundation’s themes are Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada’s Role in the World, and People and their Natural Environment.)
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine can only consider supporting an application to the Trudeau Foundation if:
(a) the applicant is a registered student in their first year of a full-time research degree programme (MPhil/PhD or DrPH) at the School,
(b) the applicant has already made an application for study to the School and holds an unconditional offer of admission for a full-time research degree programme at the School.
Applicants must only submit a research proposal for Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships funding for the same project they are currently registered for or that they hold an offer of admission for.
Applicants must also register for a login to the Trudeau portal which can take up to 48 hours to activate.
Applicants who are currently registered at the School should be aware that their School supervisor(s) will be contacted to confirm academic ability and progress.
Any student who wishes to be considered for nomination by the School should
- register on the Trudeau Foundation website for a login to their scholarship portal,
- complete the application form and submit it via the Trudeau Foundation scholarship portal, and
- email the LSHTM Scholarships team to confirm that their application has been submitted to the School for consideration
by midnight (GMT) on Thursday 2 November 2017.
- Applications are forwarded to a panel at the School for consideration.
- Applicants are contacted via the Scholarships Team with a decision (as to whether the School will support their application or not) in November 2017.
- Those who are unsuccessful can request feedback on their application at this stage.
- Those who are to be nominated by the School are asked to work further on their proposal with help from their supervisor/Faculty Research Degrees Director (FRDD).
- Nominated proposals are to be submitted on the Trudeau portal one week before the final deadline – giving the supervisor/FRDD/Scholarships Team time for one final check (and additions, if necessary) before final submission to the Trudeau Foundation.
- The School will provide a letter of nomination to add to the application.
- The final application is submitted with the letter of nomination to the Trudeau Foundation by their deadline of 8 December 2017.
- The Trudeau Foundation will consider applications and contact applicants with a decision.