Doctoral Project Travelling Scholarships 2018-19
Current doctoral students at the School are invited to apply for competitive funding support for their doctoral projects.
Successful candidates will be made awards of between GBP 500.00 and GBP 5,000.00.
Applications will be assessed on
- the scientific merit of the proposal, and
- scrutiny of the submitted budget for feasibility and reasonable economy.
A list of winners’ project titles from the past four years can be found here.
Eligibility for Funding
Applicants must be registered for a DrPH or PhD programme at the School.
As this funding is intended for Doctoral Projects, any award will only be paid once students have submitted final confirmation of upgrading (or the DrPH equivalent) to the Registry and proof of ethics approval (School and local, if required).
These awards are to support substantial periods of study in the destination country. The country visited must not be the home country of the scholar, neither should the institution be that at which the scholar was working prior to becoming a student.
Due to the source of the funds available, preference will be given to applications for visits to low or lower-middle income countries.
Where appropriate, ethics approval must be obtained and will need to be submitted to the Registry before any funding can be released.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit, in a single email to Scholarships:
- a completed 2018-19 Doctoral Project Travelling Scholarship Application Form, and
- a full project proposal, (no more than four A4 pages) which should include:
- a background statement, and
- a description of the work to be done, and
- an account of the benefits to the student's future career, and
- a description of the features of the institution being visited that make it a suitable venue, and
- a fully costed budget, which clearly identifies which areas the student is applying for support for.
Usually awards are only made towards the cost of travel and accommodation, but depending on the funds available it may be possible to consider a contribution to other project expenses and therefore a fully costed budget is required.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary information or documentation as listed above.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
The deadline for receipt of complete applications is midnight (BST) on Tuesday 30 April 2019.