The Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme has been launched to support eligible individuals in the UK with links to Afghanistan to access higher education. This scheme is funded by the Department for Education (DfE) working in partnership with the British Council.
The Warm Welcome Full Degree Scholarship scheme provides financial assistance to eligible scholars in the UK with links to Afghanistan, who are starting full-time, in person, study in the UK in September 2022.
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is participating in this scheme, and has confirmed sponsorship of up to one three-year full-time PhD studentship.
Potential applicants should carefully read through all the information available on the Warm Welcome Scholarship web page and links provided.
The studentship award:
- tuition fees and
- a tax-free stipend of GBP 16,068.00
for three years.
To be eligible for the funding, applicants must:
(a) be residing in the UK at the point of application to LSHTM, and
(b) fit within one of the following categories:
- Afghanistan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) resettlement route
- Afghanistan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS) resettlement route
- Afghan British Nationals (ABNs), described for these purposes as those that were evacuated during Operation Pitting and who entered bridging accommodation or who presented as homeless to a council, but hold British citizenship or some other status that permits them to remain and reside in the UK without the need to be granted leave to remain.
In addition, for LSHTM PhD study, applicants must:
- Meet LSHTM's English language requirements. (Applicants whose first language is not English must meet Band B requirements.)
- Meet LSHTM academic requirements for their research project. The normal minimum entrance requirement for registration to LSHTM on a MPhil/PhD is an evidence of an aptitude for research and at least one of the following: a master's degree in a subject appropriate to the course of study to be followed (recommended); a qualification appropriate to the course of study to be followed, in medicine, dentistry, or veterinary studies; an upper second-class honours degree from a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a relevant subject.
How to apply
Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme applicants must follow a two-step application process:
- Apply to a UK Higher Education Institution (LSHTM) for study
- Apply to the British Council for the Warm Welcome funding.
Applicants who wish to apply for PhD study at LSHTM with the Warm Welcome Scholarships Scheme must:
- Check that you meet requirements and eligibility criteria for both LSHTM study and the funding scheme, and are willing to abide by the Terms & Conditions of both. (By submitting an application to LSHTM, applicants are agreeing that they have read all and have agreed to them.)
- Find a potential supervisor – from LSHTM academic staff – whose interests align with yours, and who will be able to support your proposed research project. For the Warm Welcome scheme applicants must identify a potential supervisor for their studies (we cannot accept speculative applications that do provide an academic name because of the short turnaround time for this funding opportunity). The LSHTM Admissions pages provide additional details on how applicants can do this. This step should be started as soon as possible.
- Submit an application for research degree study via the LSHTM application portal by the deadline of 23:59 (BST) on 17 June 2022. Before you submit your application you must make sure that you have:
- Uploaded all the necessary and required documents highlighted on the LSHTM Admissions page, and
- Uploaded documents/proof that you meet the eligibility criteria for this scheme (ARAP or ACRS or ABNs status), and
- Indicated that you wish to apply for the Warm Welcome funding by entering ‘2022-23 Warm Welcome Scholarship’ under the ‘Funding’ section on the application.
If you have any questions relating to the application process then please email:
- British Council (for funding scheme) - email@example.com
- LSHTM (for PhD study) - LSHTM Scholarships team