Dr Helena Vrbova died tragically in Papua New Guinea in 1982, at the age of 29, where she was involved in research in malaria. The scholarship, with an award value of GBP 1,500.00, is to be used for students whose studies are directed towards malaria. The successful candidates will receive a briefing on the life and work of Dr Helena Vrbova.
Eligibility for funding
This scholarship is open to suitably qualified postgraduate research (PhD) or intensive programme Masters (MSc) students whose research is directed towards malaria. Applicants must be registered as a full-time student at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine for one of the intensive MSc programmes, or as a research degree student.
Field and lab costs beyond those covered by bench fees will be considered for applicants who are currently registered on an MSc programme at the School.
Please note that the Helena Vrbova Scholarship Fund will not support accommodation costs and payments to co-workers and/or field staff.
How to apply
Applicants must submit, in a single email (or OneDrive shared folder), to the Scholarships team:
- a completed application form
- for MSc students, please use: 2021-22 Current MSc Students’ Scholarship Application Form
- for research degree students, please use: 2021-22 Current Research Degree Students’ Scholarship Application Form
- a full budget of projected costs for the project (which should include
- justification for costs, and highlight which costs are to be covered by the scholarship (as well as show details of how other costs will be covered) – as shown in our example budget), and
- a project outline of no more than two A4 sides (which should include background/introduction and rationale, aims and objectives, method details, anticipated impact of the project, and how this funding will be used to accomplish the project’s aims, and a description of the features of the institution being visited that make it a suitable venue), and
- a timetable.
Please note that all applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
Applications will be assessed on the merit of the project. Documentation provided will be scrutinised for feasibility and reasonable economy.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.