About the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme (CSSS)
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are intended to enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. The purpose of the scholarship scheme is to contribute to development needs of lower income Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals and academics who would not otherwise be able to study in the UK.
This year, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is offering one award under the CSSS ‘Promoting global prosperity’ theme for MSc Nutrition for Global Health programme.
Each scholarship award will provide:
- MSc Nutrition for Global Health tuition fees (at the overseas fee rate)
- GBP 1,330.00 monthly maintenance stipend
- GBP 421.00 warm clothing allowance
- GBP 200.00 study travel grant
- GBP 225.00 thesis grant
- CSCUK-approved airfare from the student’s home country to the United Kingdom, and return home at the end of the award
- Visa and associated costs (including Tuberculosis test fees, when required by UK Visas & Immigration)
- Excess baggage allowance for return home
Amounts quoted are at the 2018-19 rates. 2019-20 rates will be released by CSCUK in due course.
Funding Eligibility Criteria
- be a citizen of or be granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country*, or be a British Protected Person, and
- be permanently and continually resident in an eligible Commonwealth country*, and
- be available to start your academic studies in the UK at the start of the 2019-20 academic year (September 2019), and
- hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a lower second class level plus a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree) by October 2019 **, and
- be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue their proposed course of study and meet the School’s English language proficiency requirements at the time of application, and
- not have studied for one academic year or more in a high income country, and
- not have worked for one year or more in a high income country, and
- confirm in writing (via CSCUK application) that neither they nor their families would otherwise be able to pay for study in the UK, and
- confirm in writing (via CSCUK application) that they will return to their home country within one month of the end of the end of their award.
* Eligible Commonwealth countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, Vanuata, Zambia
** Please note that CSC does not assess work experience in lieu of this minimum academic qualification. Neither will CSC fund a second UK Master’s degree, unless justification for this is submitted. Please do not apply unless you meet the CSC minimum requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this funding, applicants must
- submit a complete application for study for 2019-20 MSc Nutrition for Global Health, and
- submit a complete Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme application for funding via the CSCUK’s online application form
before the funding deadline of 16.00 (GMT) on 14 March 2019.
Further Application Guidance
STEP 1: LSHTM - MSc NGH course application
To make an application for the MSc NGH at LSHTM applicants should follow the link on the ‘How to Apply’ tab under the MSc Nutrition for Global Health course page and choose the online application option. Before submitting, applicants should use the checklist below to ensure that their application is complete and that they have submitted all the required documents for this funding. Please note that only those applications with all the necessary documents, as highlighted in the checklist below, will be considered for this funding.
- Academic Transcript
- Copy of passport
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Proof of English: submit test results confirming suitable evidence of English language at the time of application in the Languages section of the MSc application form.
- Two references: you must make sure that your referees submit references to the School as soon as possible and certainly before the funding deadline date.
- Funding Details: Indicate that you are applying for a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme award in the Funding section on the MSc application portal.
We strongly advise that applicants apply for the 2019-20 intake of MSc Nutrition for Global Health course as soon as possible after applications open in early November 2018.
STEP 2: CSSS Funding - online application
Applicants must apply for the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme awards via the Shared Scholarship page on the CSCUK website.
Applications will not be considered unless ALL the above requirements are met by the deadline of 14 March 2019.
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.