Bloomsbury and East London Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) ESRC Research Studentships – 2020 entry
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is a member of UBEL, the UCL, Bloomsbury and East London Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP). This is an ESRC-funded organisation which brings together five leading Social Science institutions (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, University College London, School of Oriental and African Studies, Birkbeck and University of East London) to offer PhD studentships each year.
UBEL is one of the largest ESRC-funded Doctoral Training Partnerships in the UK, offering over 40 studentships a year, in areas that span across the social sciences and economics. In order to organise so many interdisciplinary and cross-institutional studentships, the DTP comprises 25 different pathways across its 56 departments.
LSHTM is currently pathway lead for 2 of the 25 pathways:
The School is also a member of 2 other pathways:
Please note that applicants who have research proposals that are suitable under any of the 25 pathways can apply via the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) if their supervisor is based at the School.
The main variants of the awards are 1+3 (for applicants who do not have a relevant Masters) and +3 (for students who already have a Masters). Please note, it is possible that this award can be for 3 or 3.5 years.
Further information about each route available for 2020 entry can be found via the Preliminary Application Guide. A copy of this guide can be found on the applicant portal (Fluid Review) on the UBEL ESRC DTP website.
- UK resident: full award (fees and stipend)
- EU applicant: fees only award
In addition EU and Overseas applicants can receive a full award (fees and stipend) if their project has an integral advanced quantitative methods (AQM) component.
Eligibility criteria apply for all of the above categories: please check the UBEL ESRC DTP website for further details.
How to apply
You should follow the steps below before submitting a preliminary application:
- Contact the leading academic for the pathway of your choice.
- Together with the pathway lead you will be expected to contact relevant members of academic staff in order to discuss your research ideas and identify two potential supervisors. They will need to complete parts of your ESRC studentship application form.
- Only ONE application per applicant for an ESRC studentship beginning in 2020 may be submitted to the UBEL DTP.
- Please ensure you complete ALL questions on the application which apply to you.
- The application process itself is being conducted centrally by the UBEL DTP. Further application information can be found on the UBEL DTP website.
The deadline to submit a preliminary application is 23:59 (GMT) on Monday 6 January 2020.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding.
If you have more general enquiries regarding the ESRC UBEL at LSHTM, then please contact Simon Cohn in the first instance.