This award is an amalgamation of two awards: the Mansfield Aders Scholarship and the Avebury Memorial Fund.
Dr Walter Mansfield Aders, Economic Biologist to the Government of Zanzibar, died in 1934. A bequest to the School endowed a scholarship in medical entomology and parasitology, which was known as the ‘Mansfield Aders Scholarship’
The Avebury Memorial Fund was a subscription fund raised to provide a memorial for Lord Avebury (1834-1913) who was the Vice Chancellor of the University of London from 1872 to 1880. The award was used for scholarships or research, especially in entomology.
One scholarship is available for the 2023-24 academic year.
This full-time, one-year studentship provides full tuition fees at the Home (UK) fee rate, including mandatory field trip fees.
Eligibility for funding
For 2023-24 this funding opportunity is open to all applicants who hold:
- an offer of admission for 2023-24 entry for MSc Medical Parasitology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and
- have been assessed as 'Home' for tuition fee purposes (as shown on the LSHTM offer of admission).
How to apply
To be considered for this funding, applicants must submit an MSc Online Application for MSc Parasitology, along with all necessary supporting documentation, by the funding application deadline of 23.59 (BST) on Sunday 16 April 2023.
A full list of required application documents and information can be found on the LSHTM Before you apply (MSc) page.
There is no separate scholarship application process. All potential candidates will be considered for this funding, based on the Admissions application records for MSc Medical Parasitology.
- For scholarship purposes, applications submitted without all the necessary supporting documents are considered incomplete. Any applications for study that do not have all the necessary supporting documents at the scholarship deadline will be considered incomplete and therefore ineligible for this funding.
- Applicants are advised to apply early to allow time for their GBP 50.00 LSHTM admissions application fee payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent. Applicants applying for scholarships at LSHTM must email the Admissions Team to advise that they are awaiting the scholarship outcome (applicants must provide the Admissions team with both the name of the scholarship and the expected decision date in this email). The Admissions team will then extend the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship funding.
- All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- The Mansfield Aders and Avebury Memorial Fund Scholarship recipient is expected to abide by the scholarship’s Terms and Conditions. Acceptance of the award will be taken as acceptance of the Terms and Conditions too.
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: email@example.com
- Decisions will be reached, and the successful applicant notified, by 26 May 2023.