Enabling the most talented students from all backgrounds to study at LSHTM is a key strategic priority. We are excited to launch a new range of widening participation scholarships to tackle barriers to further education for students from all backgrounds.
As outlined in the new Strategy to Promote Access and Widening Participation, LSHTM wants to be a place where students from diverse backgrounds feel they belong, can thrive, and are valued for their unique contribution.
As part of this work, LSHTM has introduced both an innovative admissions system and 10 new scholarships, which are funded in 2023/24 by a combination of LSHTM funds – including the LSHTM Scholarship Fund - and a contribution from the University of London. These initiatives are designed to enable excellent students from groups who have been historically underrepresented in Higher Education at the postgraduate level to study, feel a sense of belonging and succeed at LSHTM.
We have 10 LSHTM Next Generation Scholarships available for entry in 2023-24.
Each scholarship award comprises:
- 2023-24 tuition fees (at the Home fee rate), including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 19,500.00 per year.
This scholarship is open to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based intensive MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in 2023-24.
Eligible programmes are any of the 16 intensive Masters degrees on our MSc courses page (excluding the following joint programmes: MSc Global Mental Health, MSc One Health & MSc Veterinary Epidemiology)
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- meet the criteria for Home fee status;
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements (as required by LSHTM’s Admissions system);
- hold an offer of admission for 2023-24 for one of the 16 eligible London-based (intensive) MSc programmes at LSHTM.
The selection panel awarding this scholarship will consider responses to our contextualized admissions questions, giving preference to those applicants who are in the categories below:
- Black ethnicity
- Care experienced
- Care giver
- Estranged from family
- First generation in family to enter higher education
- Refugee or asylum seeker
How to apply
All applicants who meet the criteria above, will automatically be considered for these scholarships when making their application to study via the LSHTM Admissions portal.
You should submit an application to study for 2023-24 for an eligible MSc programme of study, by following the instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant MSc programme page. We would encourage you to submit your application as early as possible to allow time for it to be processed prior to the deadline below.
Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary admissions documents (including references) are submitted via the admissions portal. In order to be considered for this scholarship applicants must hold an offer of admission by 1 April 2023.
- All applicants being considered for this funding are agreeing to the general terms and conditions for LSHTM scholarships.
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that all applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- Decisions are expected to be reached, and the successful applicants notified by 26 May 2023.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent.
- Applicants who are eligible for this scholarship will automatically be granted an extension to their deposit deadline by the Admissions team until the scholarships decisions are made.