Professor Basia Zaba (1949-2018)
Basia started her long association with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in 1975 when she enrolled for the MSc in Medical Demography (the precursor to the MSc Demography & Health). She stayed on to work as a Research Fellow, leaving in 1980 to spend eight years in Trinidad. She initially worked for the UN Economic Commission for Latin America, and later took a part-time position at the University of the West Indies. On her return to LSHTM in 1988 she was awarded an ESRC fellowship that enabled her to conduct fieldwork in Mwanza, Tanzania. This convinced her that HIV/AIDS was the outstanding health, demographic and development problem facing the region, and since the mid-1990s she worked more or less exclusively in this field. Her far-sighted, seminal work in this area – including the establishment of the ALPHA network of population-based HIV surveillance sites – led to increasing international recognition. In addition to her work on HIV, Basia has made important contributions to the field of indirect techniques of demographic estimation. Basia held the Brass/Blacker Chair in Demography since 2012 and became Head of the Department of Population Health in August 2015.
An obituary with greater detail on Basia’s career is available on the IUSSP website.
One partial scholarship worth GBP 5,000.00 towards tuition fees is offered for the 2023-24 academic year for the MSc Demography & Health.
Eligibility for funding
The scholarship is open to applicants who have been accepted onto the 2023-24 intensive MSc Demography & Health.
Preference will be given to prospective students with a demonstrable interest in the field of demographic estimation, or, the demography of low-income countries.
Applicants must meet the School’s minimum English language proficiency requirements if shortlisted for this funding.
Applicants are expected to have other funding (to cover remainder of fees - approx GBP 28,540.00 for those with overseas fee status - and living and travel costs) in place at the time this award is made and accepted. This scholarship can only provide the GBP 5,000.00 towards fees, as advertised.
How to apply
To apply for this funding applicants should follow both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline.
- Step 1: Submit an application for the MSc Demography and Health, via the LSHTM Admissions portal.
- Step 2: Submit a Scholarship Application, via the School’s Online Scholarship Application, indicating that you are applying for the 2023-24 Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship. As part of this application you should upload a completed Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship Supplementary Questions Form.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2023-24 London-based MSc Demography & Health application for study and/or have been made an Offer of Admission for the 2023-24 London-based MSc Demography & Health programme should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Please ensure that all the necessary supporting documents have been uploaded to your study application before the Scholarship deadline. Applicants are encouraged to communicate with their referees as early as possible in the application process, notifying them of this deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their references have been submitted by the scholarship closing date.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications are those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above.
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
Applicants are encouraged to read the information/guidance and Terms & Conditions ahead of submitting their funding application.
- Decisions will be reached, and all applicants notified of the outcome by 26th May 2023.
Applications and all necessary supporting documents must be received by 23:59 (BST) on Sunday 16 April 2023.