The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) has been awarded funding by the Wellcome Trust (through their Master’s Programme Awards in Humanities and Social Science) to support one studentship per year for three years (2019/20 – 2021/22) through MSc Public Health.
The Wellcome Trust Master’s Programme Awards in Humanities and Social Science scheme aims to build an influential and diverse population of talented researchers in the humanities and social sciences in order to improve the understanding of human health. This aim is being fulfilled through Master’s Programmes that improve students’ understanding of health through the humanities or social sciences; prepare students for a career in health-related humanities or social science research; and build an influential and diverse population of talented researchers.
The studentship will support:
- tuition fees at the Home (UK) full-time fee rate for one year; and
- tax-free stipend of GBP 17,000.00, paid out to the awardee directly in 12 monthly instalments; and
- expenses for MSc project fieldwork of up to GBP 1,044.00.
The successful student will be required to follow a humanities and social science ‘pathway’ through the MSc Public Health scheme. This will involve taking modules in humanities and social science disciplines and using one or more of these approaches in the MSc project.
Eligibility for funding
Candidates will be expected to be planning a career in health-related humanities or social science research.
As this studentship is competitive, candidates should hold, or be expected to hold by 1 September 2021, qualifications of the same standard as a good honours degree at first or upper second class level from a UK academic institution in a humanities or social science discipline.
Applicants are also expected to demonstrate experience in health-related humanities or social science research. Applicants can check that they meet this experience requirement by referencing the ESRC’s ‘social science’ discipline list and/or the AHRC’s ‘humanities’ disciplines list.
The studentship is only available to applicants who are assessed to have ‘Home’ (UK) fee status, according to the regulations set out on the UKCISA website.
Applicants must hold an offer of admission for 2021-22 entry for the London-based (face-to face) MSc Public Health programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine by the studentship deadline of 23:59 (BST) on 18 April 2021.
How to apply
The application process has two steps. To be considered for the funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both steps outlined below.
Applicants must submit a complete application for MSc Public Health via LSHTM’s online application portal. Complete applications, including all necessary supporting documents, must be submitted at least 6 weeks before the Scholarship application deadline of 18 April 2021.
Applicants must submit an application for this studentship funding via our Scholarships online application form by 23:59 (BST) on 18 April 2021. A completed supplementary questions form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV etc with their application for study).
- Applicants are advised to complete Step 1 early to allow time for their GBP 50.00 LSHTM admissions application fee payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding complete and submit their application for study (for the MSc Public Health programme) at least 1-2 weeks before their deadline to ensure that there are no admissions or payment processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline.
- Each applicant should submit only one Wellcome Trust Master’s Studentship (MSc Public Health) application. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and attachment before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered; and there will be no opportunity to upload the supplementary questions form after submission.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications includes those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both steps 1 and 2 above.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2021-22 London-based MSc Public Health application for study and/or have been made an offer of admission for the 2021-22 London-based MSc Public Health should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (step 2 above) and submitting this by the deadline.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent. Applicants applying for scholarships at LSHTM must email the Admissions team to advise that they are awaiting the scholarship outcome (applicants must provide the Admissions team with both the name of the scholarship and the expected decision date in this email). This must be repeated for every application for which the applicant has applied. The Admissions team will then extend the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship funding.
- Applicants who encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form should, in the first instance, try clearing their browser cache and ensuring that they are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix the technical issue, please contact LSHTM’s IT Services team, providing the full name of the applicant; the scholarship that is being applied for; and the technical issue that has been encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: email@example.com
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
- All applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- Decisions will be reached, and the successful applicant notified, before 31 May 2021.