The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) has six studentships per year to award to students on the MSc Health Data Science programme for three academic years (2020/21–2022/23). These studentships are supported by Health Data Research UK (HDR UK) as part of the HDR UK training strategy, which focuses on developing health data scientists with expertise across the fields of statistics, machine learning, informatics and beyond, to help transform how data is used to improve health.
Six studentships will be awarded for the 2021-22 MSc Health Data Research programme.
Three awards will cover:
- Tuition fees at the Home (UK) full-time fee rate for 1 year, and
- A tax-free stipend of GBP 16,000.00 (including London Weighting) paid out to the awardees directly in 12 monthly instalments
Three awards will cover:
- 50% of tuition fees at the Home (UK) full-time fee rate for 1 year
Eligibility for Funding
To be eligible for a studentship, applicants must:
- have been assessed for Home (UK) fee status, according to the regulations set out on the UKCISA website, and
- hold an offer of admission for 2021-22 entry for the MSc Health Data Science at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
How to Apply
The application process has two steps. To be considered for this funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both application steps outlined below by the scholarship application deadline of 23:59 (BST) on Monday 31 May 2021.
Submit an online scholarships application, selecting ‘2021-22 HDR UK Scholarships’ from the drop-down menu. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV etc with their application for study).
- Applicants are advised to complete Step 1 early to allow time for their GBP 50.00 LSHTM admissions application fee payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding complete and submit their application for study at least 1-2 weeks before the scholarships deadline to ensure that there are no admissions or payment processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline. (Where possible, we would encourage applicants to submit a complete application for study as far in advance of the scholarship deadline as possible, to allow for timely processing.)
- Each applicant should submit only one application for HDR UK Scholarships for 2021-22. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and attachment before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered and there will be no opportunity to upload the Supplementary Questions Form after submission.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2021-22 London-based MSc application and/or have been made an Offer of admission should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above. Both the application to study and the scholarship application must be complete by the scholarship deadline. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via LSHTM’s Admissions Portal by the scholarship deadline.
- Applicants are encouraged to communicate with their referees as early as possible in the application process, notifying them of the scholarship deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their references have been submitted by the scholarship closing date.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent. Applicants applying for scholarships at LSHTM must email the Admissions Team to advise that they are awaiting the scholarship outcome (applicants must provide the Admissions team with both the name of the scholarship and the expected decision date in this email). This must be repeated for every application for which the applicant has applied. The Admissions team will then extend the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship funding.
- Applicants who encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form should, in the first instance, try clearing their browser cache and ensuring that they are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix the technical issue, please contact LSHTM’s IT Services team, providing the full name of the applicant; the scholarship that is being applied for; and the technical issue that has been encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: email@example.com
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its Terms and Conditions.
- Please note that all applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- The MSc Health Data Science Programme Directors will assess all applications for suitability for the course. Successful applications (i.e. those with applicants who will be made an offer of admission) will be considered for the Scholarship. The short-listing and final selection for the scholarship will be made by a scholarships panel. If deemed necessary, the panel may request a short telephone interview with prospective candidates as part of the selection process. All decisions taken by the committee will be final and there is no provision for appeal.
- Decisions will be reached, and the successful applicants notified, by mid-July 2021 at the latest.