This scholarship was established with a legacy donation from Jocelyn Hughes. The Jocelyn Hughes Malaria & Research Travel Grants are intended to support students undertaking research to beat malaria, the disease from which her husband Richard Hughes died in 1992.
GBP 3,380.00 is available to award this academic year. Successful candidates will be made awards of between GBP 500.00 to GBP 3,380.00.
Eligibility for funding
This scholarship is open to research degree (PhD) students whose research is directed towards malaria.
Applicants must be registered as a full time London-based student at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Where appropriate, ethics approval must be obtained (LSHTM and local) and will need to be submitted to the Scholarships Team in Registry before any funding can be released.
All those in receipt of a Jocelyn Hughes Malaria and Research Travel Grant award must follow the policy, guidance and requirements of LSHTM (including LSHTM travel insurance), UK FCDO, and destination government, at the time of proposed and actual travel.
How to apply
Applicants must submit, in a single email to Scholarships Team:
- a completed 2020-21 Research Degree Travelling Scholarship Travelling Form, and
- a fully costed budget, which clearly identifies which areas the student is applying for support for and confirming any other funding secured for this, and
- a full project proposal, (no more than four A4 pages) which should include:
- a background statement (introduction and rationale);
- a description of the work to be done, the methods to be used, and the anticipated outcomes;
- a timetable;
- an account of the benefits to the student's future career;
- a description of the features of the institution being visited that make it a suitable venue (if applicable).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary information or documentation as listed above.
All applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
The deadline for receipt of complete applications is 08:00 am (BST) on Monday 26 April 2021.