Dr Helena Vrbova died tragically in Papua New Guinea in 1982, at the age of 29, where she was involved in research in malaria. The scholarship, with an award value of GBP 1,500.00, is to be used for students whose studies are directed towards malaria. The successful candidates will receive a briefing on the life and work of Dr Helena Vrbova.
Eligibility for funding
This scholarship is open to research degree (PhD) students whose research is directed towards malaria. Applicants must be registered as a full-time London-based student at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Where appropriate, ethics approval must be obtained (LSHTM and local) and will need to be submitted to the Scholarships Team in Registry before any funding can be released.
All those in receipt of a Helena Vrbova Travelling Scholarship award must follow the policy, guidance and requirements of LSHTM (including LSHTM travel insurance), UK FCDO, and destination government, at the time of proposed and actual travel.
How to apply
Applicants must submit, in a single email to Scholarships Team:
- a completed 2020-21 Research Degree Travelling Scholarship Application Form, and
- a fully costed budget, which clearly identifies which areas the student is applying for support for and confirming any other funding secured for this (the Helena Vrbova scholarship will not support accommodation costs and payments to co-workers and/or field staff),
- a full project proposal, (no more than four A4 pages) which should include:
- a background statement (introduction and rationale);
- a description of the work to be done, the methods to be used, and the anticipated outcomes;
- a timetable;
- an account of the benefits to the student's future career;
- a description of the features of the institution being visited that make it a suitable venue (if applicable).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary information or documentation as listed above.
All applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
The deadline for receipt of complete applications is 08:00 am (BST) on Monday 26 April 2021.