Current research degree students at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) based in the Faculty of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH) are invited to apply for competitive funding support for their doctoral projects.
The EPH Travelling Scholarships are generously funded by Dr Monika Pietrek (alumna - MSc Epidemiology 1991).
GBP 8,600.00 is available for award. Successful candidates will be made awards of between GBP 500.00 and GBP 2,000.00.
Eligibility for funding
Applicants must be registered for a DrPH or PhD programme in EPH at LSHTM in 2020-21.
As this funding is intended for doctoral projects, any award will only be paid once students have submitted final confirmation of upgrading (or the DrPH equivalent) to the Scholarships team in the Registry.
Where appropriate, ethics approval must be obtained (LSHTM and local) and will need to be submitted to the Scholarships Team in Registry before any funding can be released.
All those in receipt of an EPH Travelling Scholarship award must follow the policy, guidance and requirements of LSHTM (including LSHTM travel insurance), UK FCDO, and destination government, at the time of proposed and actual travel.
How to apply
Applicants must submit, in a single email to the Scholarships Team:
- a completed 2020-21 Research Degree Travelling Scholarship Application Form, and
- a fully costed budget, which clearly identifies which areas the student is applying for support for and confirming any other funding secured for this,
- a full project proposal, (no more than four A4 pages) which should include:
- a background statement (introduction and rationale);
- a description of the work to be done, the methods to be used, and the anticipated outcomes;
- a timetable;
- an account of the benefits to the student's future career;
- a description of the features of the institution being visited that make it a suitable venue.
Applications will be assessed on the scientific merit of the proposal, and scrutiny of the submitted budget for feasibility and reasonable economy.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary information or documentation as listed above.
All applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
The deadline for receipt of complete applications is 08:00 am (BST) on Monday 26 April 2021.