The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship Programme is looking for audacious, original, and forward-thinking researchers to apply for their scholarship programme. The programme ‘will help shape researchers into engaged leaders who are conscious of the impact of their research, connected to the realities of the communities in which they work, and open to non-conventional forms of knowledge’.
Up to 20 of these prestigious awards are available.
The scholarship programme offers leadership and skills training, and funding of up to CAD 60,000.00 per scholar for three years.
To be eligible for these awards the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation has outlined the following selection criteria:
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens
- Applicants must be accepted or already enrolled on a full-time doctoral programme in the humanities and social sciences
- Applicants’ work must relate to one of the Trudeau Foundation’s four themes (the themes are Human Rights and Dignity; Responsible Citizenship; Canada and the World; and, People and their Natural Environment)
Those who meet the eligibility criteria and who are interested in applying should read the information found on the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation website under Doctoral Scholarships and Become a Scholar.
Any student who wishes to be considered for nomination by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine should:
- register on the Trudeau Foundation website for a login to their scholarship portal (read the Steps to Applying on the Become a Scholar page carefully – this will explain the process for registering on the Trudeau portal, and the expected time delays);
- complete and submit the application form via the Trudeau Foundation scholarship portal; and
- email the LSHTM Scholarships team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to confirm that their application has been submitted (for the School to consider via the Trudeau portal).
The deadline is 23:59 (GMT) on Monday 9 December 2019.
Additional application information
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine can only consider supporting an application to the Trudeau Foundation if:
- the applicant is a registered student in their first year of a full-time research degree programme (MPhil/PhD or DrPH) at the School; or
- the applicant has already made an application for study to the School and holds an unconditional offer of admission for a full-time research degree programme at the School for entry up to September 2020.
Applicants must only submit a research proposal for Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships funding for the same project they are currently registered for or that they hold an offer of admission for.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for nomination.
Applicants who are currently registered at the School should be aware that their School supervisor(s) will be contacted to confirm academic ability and progress.
- The Scholarships team will download applications from the Trudeau portal, and forward these to a panel at the School for consideration.
- Applicants are contacted via the Scholarships Team with a decision (as to whether the School will support their application or not) in late December 2019 (before Christmas closure).
- Those who are unsuccessful can request feedback on their application at this stage.
- Those who are to be nominated by the School are asked to work further on their proposal with help from their supervisor/Faculty Research Degrees Director (FRDD).
- Nominated proposals are to be submitted on the Trudeau portal by 13 January 2020 – giving the supervisor/FRDD/Scholarships Team time for one final check (and additions, if necessary) before final submission to the Trudeau Foundation by the Scholarships Team.
- The School will provide a letter of nomination to add to the application.
- LSHTM will submit the final application along with the letter of nomination to the Trudeau Foundation by their final deadline of 22 January 2020.
- The Trudeau Foundation will consider applications and contact applicants with a decision.