Professor Basia Zaba (1949-2018)
Basia started her long association with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in 1975 when she enrolled for the MSc in Medical Demography (the precursor to the MSc Demography & Health). She stayed on to work as a Research Fellow, leaving in 1980 to spend eight years in Trinidad. She initially worked for the UN Economic Commission for Latin America, and later took a part-time position at the University of the West Indies. On her return to LSHTM in 1988 she was awarded an ESRC fellowship that enabled her to conduct fieldwork in Mwanza, Tanzania. This convinced her that HIV/AIDS was the outstanding health, demographic and development problem facing the region, and since the mid-1990s she worked more or less exclusively in this field. Her far-sighted, seminal work in this area – including the establishment of the ALPHA network of population-based HIV surveillance sites – led to increasing international recognition. In addition to her work on HIV, Basia has made important contributions to the field of indirect techniques of demographic estimation. Basia held the Brass/Blacker Chair in Demography since 2012 and became Head of the Department of Population Health in August 2015.
An obituary with greater detail on Basia’s career is available on the IUSSP website.
Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship
One partial scholarship worth GBP 5,000.00 towards tuition fees is offered for the 2020-21 academic year.
Eligibility for funding
The scholarship is open to applicants who have been accepted onto the 2020-21 London-based MSc Demography & Health programme.
Applicants should be aware that preference will be given to prospective students with a demonstrable interest in the field of demographic estimation, or, the demography of low-income countries.
Applicants must meet the School’s minimum English language proficiency requirements if shortlisted for this funding.
How to apply
To apply for this funding applicants should follow both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline.
Please ensure that all the necessary supporting documents have been uploaded to your study application before the scholarship deadline. Applicants are encouraged to communicate with their referees as early as possible in the application process, notifying them of this deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their references have been submitted by the scholarship closing date.
Submit a scholarship application, via the School’s online scholarship application, indicating that you are applying for the 2020-21 Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship. As part of this application you should upload a completed Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship supplementary questions form (this is the only document which should be uploaded with the scholarship application).
Applicants should be aware that their application for this scholarship award may be considered alongside the documents submitted for their application to the MSc Demography & Health programme.
If you encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form, in the first instance please try clearing your browser cache and ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix your technical issue, please contact the School’s IT Services team, providing your full name; the scholarship that you are applying for; and the technical issue that you have encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible. email@example.com.
- Each applicant should submit only one Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship application. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and upload before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered and there will be no opportunity to upload the required Basia Zaba Memorial Scholarship supplementary questions form after submission.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2020-21 London-based MSc Demography & Health application for study and/or have been made an Offer of Admission for the 2020-21 London-based MSc Demography & Health programme should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications are those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above.
- By submitting an application for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
- Please note that if you are applying for admission to LSHTM and are accepted, you will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days. If you are applying for a scholarship at LSHTM, please email the Admissions Team within this 28 day period, specifying the name of this scholarship and the expected decision date. This must be repeated for every scholarship for which you are applying. The admissions team will then apply an extension to the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship.
Applications and all necessary supporting documents must be received by 23:59 (BST) on Thursday 30 April 2020.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by 1 June 2020.