The Communications and Engagement Department of the Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is responsible for all strategic implementation of the Communications & Engagement Department’s activities and outputs and providing oversight and guidance of communications across the entire MRCG at LSHTM.
We are looking for a Press Officer to join the Communications and Engagement Department at our main campus in Fajara. Reporting to the Head of Communications & Engagement, the post holder will be working on the day-to-day delivery of a high-quality media relations and social media service, with responsibility for generating media coverage relating to the Unit’s research output, world-leading scientists and training programmes. S/he will be liaising with journalists, staff and other key stakeholders to boost the profile of the Unit.
- First degree or equivalent in communications or related field of study with relevant experience in the media.
- Experience of working in media and communications, preferably within a health or science environment.
- Experience of managing social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, in a business environment.
- Thorough understanding of the Gambian, West African and global media landscape.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to prioritise, work to tight deadlines and cope well under pressure.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to communicate complex messages succinctly, accurately and in a ‘newsy’ style for lay audiences and develop ‘story packages’ including press releases, social and digital media content.
- Methodical, organised and accurate.
- Excellent computing and database skills, including knowledge of media monitoring and database tools.
- Thorough understanding of the global health/global development landscape and alert to both opportunities and potential issues.
- Appreciation of the academic world and the working priorities of researchers.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Experience in reputation and risk management, and ability to create crisis communication plans and responses.
- Experience of using PhotoShop and InDesign.
The salary will be paid in MRCG at LSHTM’s Grade 4, 23 points plus allowances.
We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
The appointment will be up to 31 March 2027 initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
To apply, please review the job description and application form, and send the application form and any relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 31 May 2023 - please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MRCG at LSHTM is an equal opportunities employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.