The Communications and Engagement Department of the Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is responsible for all strategic implementation of the Communications & Engagement Department’s activities and outputs and providing oversight and guidance of communications across the entire MRCG at LSHTM.
We are looking for an Internal Communications Officer to join the Communications and Engagement Department at Fajara. Reporting to the Head of Communications & Engagement, the Internal Communications Officer will support and manage internal staff communications activities across the MRCG at LSHTM to help foster a thriving and inclusive staff community.
S/he will work to increase reach and engagement of existing activities, work closely with the Head of Communications & Engagement to develop new initiatives that support key objectives in MRCG at LSHTM’s strategy, create and implement internal communications and change communications action plans.
- First degree or equivalent in communications or related field of study with relevant experience of delivering communications within a large organisation.
- Proven experience of effectively managing internal communications for an organisation.
- Experience of developing staff communications plans for corporate projects.
- Experience of advising on and delivering communications for change programmes.
- Experience of producing high quality and engaging written content for a range of audiences and purposes.
- Experience of writing, editing and managing the production of a range of communications including newsletters, blogs, video, reports and infographics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and the ability to present information in clear, concise, and compelling ways to technical and non-academic audiences.
- Excellent IT skills including the use of editing and web content management software, databases and email communications management tools.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to coordinate and prioritise a complex workload, meet multiple, tight deadlines and manage projects to deliver successful outcomes
- Methodical, organised, accurate and able to cope well under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment together with the ability to communicate and negotiate at all levels.
- Proven ability to use initiative and judgement to anticipate potential issues and solve problems
- High level of personal motivation and flexibility; ability to work independently and as part of a team; willingness to travel.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Experience of using PhotoShop and InDesign.
- Experience of event marketing.
- Understanding of funding mechanisms and operating structures for research and/or higher education institutions.
- Understanding of public and global health research.
The salary will be paid in MRCG at LSHTM’s Grade 4, 23 points plus allowances.
We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
The appointment will be up to 31 March 2027 initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
To apply, please review the job description and application form, and send the application form and any relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 31 May 2023 - please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MRCG at LSHTM is an equal opportunities employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.