The Communications and Engagement Department of the Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is responsible for all strategic implementation of the Communications & Engagement Department’s activities and outputs and providing oversight and guidance of communications across the entire MRCG at LSHTM.
We are looking for a suitably trained and experienced professional to join an expanding Communications Department at Fajara. The post holder will directly support the Head of Communications & Engagement in delivering strategic projects and campaigns and providing Unit-wide communication services and provide guidance for other junior staff. S/he has responsibility for strategic planning and implementation of MRCG-wide initiatives and campaigns and provides strategic oversight of communications across the Unit.
- First degree in communications or related field of study with relevant experience in the media.
- Proven experience of effectively managing communications in a complex organisation, ideally in a Higher Education or similar environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and the ability to present information in clear, concise and compelling ways.
- Experience of writing, editing and managing production of a range of communications including reports, policy briefs, media features, websites and social media.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to coordinate and prioritise a complex workload, meet multiple deadlines and manage projects to deliver successful outcomes.
- Excellent IT skills including use of editing and web content management software, databases and email communications management tools.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to negotiate and influence senior stakeholders both internal and external.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment together with the ability to communicate and negotiate at all levels.
- Proven ability to use initiative and judgement to anticipate potential issues and solve problems.
- High level of personal motivation and flexibility with ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to act with diplomacy & tact and display high levels of emotional intelligence.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Awareness of factors affecting the research and/or higher education environment, and other factors which may impact on MRCG at LSHTM activity including, for example, political and policy developments/changes.
The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 31 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a minimum net monthly salary of 70,947 Dalasi. This converts to minimum take home pay of ~USD 1,182/month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
Please note that the salary is paid in Dalasi, and USD is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
In addition, a generous displacement package will be provided for displaced staff including rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
The appointment will be up to 31 March 2027 initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
To apply, please review the job description and application form, and send the application form and any relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MRCG at LSHTM is an equal opportunities employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
The closing date for applications is 31 May 2023 - please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.