This page focuses on taught courses. For doctoral studies, please see GHECO’s research degrees page here.
Health economics is a core part of LSHTM’s teaching programme. GHECO members lead and contribute to taught courses which draw extensively on the unparalleled depth and breadth of our health economics research and policy experience. Students may choose to specialize in health economics through one of the MSc programmes listed below, or to take individual modules, short courses, or MOOCs to introduce them to the field, pursue topics in greater depth, or sharpen their skills.
Intensive (London-based) degrees
We offer three different degrees for students wishing to focus on health economics within intensive (London-based) MSc degrees:
- MSc Public Health (with the option of specialising in the Health Economics Stream)
- MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing (delivered in collaboration with the London School of Economics)
- MSc Public Health for Development (which allows students to select health economics modules as options)
Distance learning degrees
We also offer two sets of distance learning (DL) degrees, which allow for specialization in health economics:
- MSc, PG Diploma & PG Certificate in Public Health (with the option of specialising in the Health Economics Stream)
- MSc, PG Diploma & PG Certificate in Global Health Policy
Our teaching includes numerous intensive modules and DL modules focused on health economics. These popular modules receive excellent feedback from students and can be taken by students on the MSc programmes above, as well as by students pursuing some of the School’s other MSc programmes. In some cases, it is possible to apply to take individual modules as a short course. Most DL modules may be taken individually.
- *Introduction to Health Economics (Term 1 intensive or DL)
- Economic Evaluation (Term 2-C1 intensive or DL)
- Economic Analysis for Health Policy (Term 2-D1 intensive or DL)
- *Evaluation of Public Health Interventions (Term 2-D1 intensive or DL)
- *Health Decision Science (Term 2-D2 intensive or DL)
- The Economics of Global Health Policy (DL only)
*No prior training in health economics required. Other modules require completion of Introduction to Health Economics.
In addition, GHECO members contribute widely to teaching across the School, with health economics lectures and seminars within multidisciplinary modules such as Health Systems, Applying Public Health Principles, and Malaria: from Science to Policy and Practice, which are open to students on a wide range of MSc programmes.
We regularly offer short courses, which are a great way to sharpen your skills and knowledge within health economics. Currently we have two offerings for 2022:
- Foundations of Decision Modelling for Health Economic Evaluation (May 2022);
- Advanced Decision Modelling for Health Economic Evaluation (June 2022)
Both are supported by faculty at the Global Health Economics Centre and are presented in collaboration with colleagues at Centre for Health Economics at the University of York.
Further information on booking a place on either course is available on the course page.
Open Access Courses
We currently offer a single online open access course (OAC): Health Economics and Financing in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. This OAC was originally developed as a short course for UNICEF staff, and has been adapted for online, self-directed learning.
Study with us
Further details - including on the application process – are available here. Advice is also available on scholarship funding. For any other information on studying at LSHTM, please contact the Study Team.
We are working to expand our health economics teaching offer, including short courses and MOOCs, so please check back here for updates.