Dr Toyin Togun
MD MPH PhD
and Co-Director LSHTM TB Centre
Toyin Togun is an Associate Professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London, UK, and a clinician-scientist in the Vaccines & Immunity Theme at the Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit The Gambia at the LSHTM (MRCG at LSHTM). He is also the Co-Director of the LSHTM Tuberculosis (TB) Centre - a global collaborative network of TB researchers harnessing diverse disciplinary expertise to end TB worldwide.
His area of interest is in global health and implementation research that is centred on the discovery and practical applications of new tools and strategies to improve the diagnosis and management of TB in high burden settings, with particular interest in childhood TB.
Toyin had his medical training at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, and completed a Masters’ degree in Public Health in Developing Countries at the LSHTM as a Joint Japan/World Bank graduate scholar. His MRC clinical PhD training fellowship was an immuno-epidemiological project in childhood TB that centred on the interface between clinical assessment, diagnostic algorithms and discovery of diagnostic biomarkers. He completed a Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Occupational Health at McGill University, Montreal, Canada. His postdoctoral research was centred on the validation of promising biomarkers in diverse settings, and on implementation research focusing on the practical considerations necessary for successful translation of research insights from discovery to practice and policy in the field.
He is currently a member of the College of Experts for the Africa Research Excellence Fund, and an Academic Editor of the PLOS Global Public Health journal. Toyin is also a member of the Child and Adolescent TB Working Group of the World Health Organization (WHO).
Toyin Togun is an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA). His teaching and learning support activities include:
- Member of the Programme Management Group (PMG), Wellcome Trust-Bloomsbury Global Health Research in Africa Doctoral Training Programme
- The London Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) course
- IDM 502 (Tuberculosis) elective module
- Personal tutor on the MSc Tropical Medicine and International Health (TMIH)
- Assessor to MSc, PG Diploma and PG Certificate in Infectious Diseases Board of Examiners.
Toyin led a UKRI/GCRF-funded project that has established a platform for clinical, epidemiological and applied health research on post-TB lung health in children in West Africa. This collaborative project has underpinning support by key international research and advocacy networks, including the Pan African Thoracic Society (PATS), West and Central African Regional Network for TB control (WARN/CARN-TB), International Union Against TB & Lung Disease (IUATLD), West African Paediatric TB Network (WApTBNet), and TB Proof – a global advocacy community of TB survivors.
He is also leading the childhood TB Work Package of the EDCTP-funded West African Network of Excellence for TB, AIDS and Malaria (WANETAM) consortium comprising 25 research and academic institutions in 12 West African countries. The childhood TB Work Package of the WANETAM consortium aims to improve the diagnosis and management of TB in children through the conduct of relevant multicountry and interdisciplinary research studies of drug sensitive- and drug-resistant-TB within national health systems in West Africa.
In addition, he is a co-Investigator on a NIH-funded Paediatric TB Biomarker study that aims to validate multiple promising biomarkers of paediatric TB in multicountry cohorts in sub-Sahara Africa.
1. Dr. Fabian Edem (MRC Unit The Gambia & University of Ibadan, Nigeria) - WANETAM Postdoctoral Fellow in Childhood TB
2. Dr Esin Nkereuwem (MRC Unit The Gambia & Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, LSHTM) - PhD student
3. Dr Sheila Agyeiwaa Owusu (MRC Unit The Gambia & Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, LSHTM) - PhD student
1. Dr. Awa Ba Diallo (Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal & MRC Unit The Gambia) - Postdoctoral Fellow.