Dr Brigid Strachan
Lancet Global Health Commission
My training is in African Area Studies (MA, SOAS 1981), human resource development & affirmative action (PhD from Open University 1988); health policy planning and financing (MSc LSHTM 1991) and organisational management & leadership (PG Dip in Organisational Leadership Said Business School University of Oxford 2017). I have worked first as an academic, then as a consultant with my own company in South Africa, Impact Health Management Solutions. The areas I have worked in as a consultant and project manager are health policy, financing and Human Resources for Health & leadership development.
I worked as an academic teaching undergraduates in Zambia and Zimbabawe in African Development Studies from 1982 - 1990. On returning to post-apartheid South Africa in 1991, I worked first for the University of the Western Cape teaching social transformation. From 1992 - 1999 I worked at the University of Cape Town Medical School teaching and developing new courses for undergraduates and postgraduates in health planning, financing, leadership and management.
Some of the projects I have developed, managed and worked on over the past years have been:
- Research on Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs) in the UK, research translation and lessons for the organisation and financing of AHSNs in South Africa & LMICs, as a visiting research fellow at Radcliffe Department of Medicine, University of Oxford
- The paediatric workforce in Kenya for Oxford Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health, University of Oxford, as a consultant
- The development of the South African Human Resources for Health Strategy 2012/13 – 2016/17 for the Director General for Health South Africa
- The financing of the training of clinical health professionals for the National Department of Higher Education and Department of Health South Africa
- The strengthening of academic medicine and specialist training in South Africa for the Colleges of Medicine South Africa
- Postgraduate programmes in management and leadership development for the University of Cape Town, the University of Stellenbosh and the National Department of Health South Africa.
- Amongst other written outputs, I co-authored a book and training materials with Abedian I and Ajam T for the University of Cape Town entitled: Transformation in Action: Budgeting for Health Service Delivery (1996)
- Member of the Strategic Management Team of the new African National Congress government in the Western Cape, South Africa, with responsibility for restructuring health care financing of the old Cape province into the new Western, Eastern and Northern Cape 1996
- Member of the first National Financing Commission for Health for the new Minister of Health of the first Mandela government post-apartheid 1995
- Author of - Never on our Knees – Youth in Apartheid South Africa, United Nations Association Youth, 1985